Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about laptop..

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I ordered a new Dell Vostro laptop with 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM RAM, running Windows Vista? Will this cause a performance issue? I could of upgraded to 2GB but I didn't think it'd be worth it.. I'm just going to use the laptop for internet and typing, nothing big as gaming, so should the 1GB of RAM be fine?

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yes you will be fine with the RAM. What processor did you get?
Dell is very good in making sure everything will run fine. Meaning you will be able to perform basic tasks. So with 1GB for browsing the web, you will be better then fine.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I would recommend changing the order to 2GB if you can, it would be better. The performance issue will only rear it's head if you are multi-tasking, meaning you have your e-mail program running (like Outlook), and a Word document or two running, and a few internet pages loaded, and your anti-virus decides to run a system scan on you, and you have heaps of programs installed that sit in your system memory, things like that. 1GB will work fine, but you will just need to make sure you keep things simple.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ruthandtroy is right, 2GBs will be a lot better but I don't think you need to upgrade right away. I think 1GB will be able to handle things if you are not gaming. If you end up needing some more speed then you can easily pop in another stick of RAM in the future. It is very easy to do.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 August 2007 - 08:18 AM.

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks guys, yeah, I don't plan to do much gaming, just browsing and things.

Processor: Vostro 1500, Intel Core 2 Duo T5470, 1.6GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 2M L2 Cach

I could of upgraded to 2GB with Dell but they charge wayyy too much for that, and plus, I didn't think i'd actually need the extra gig, we'll see how it goes, it says the item was shipped today!

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Hope everything works out. :whistling:

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Wow, it's funny how I found this thread 2 years later, but I am actually about to upgrade the RAM on this laptop as this is my primary computer now. I never upgraded RAM and left it with 1GB but since over the past 2 years, the price of RAM has decreased and I can easily max out my laptop with 2 2GB sticks (4GB total).

With 1 GB, I've noticed Outlook takes a little while to load and minor things like that, and I plan to also do a little bit of gaming, so would the 4GB be worth it? I understand that only 3.5GB is able to be read on a 32-bit processor such as mine, but since the RAM is so cheap, I don't really mind..