Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slow!

• Please log in to reply

Epyon700

Epyon700

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi! I was being helped on something else but got some help from a relative. But now my computer is using too much ram for such little jobs. I know the Winows OneCare uses a lot but firefox is and everything is so slowed down! Even when nothing is running its slow.

Advertisements

Metahuman

Metahuman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Have you tired using your computer in the Safe Mode? Instructions regarding the same are -

To start the computer in safe mode

1. You should print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.

2. Click Start and then click Shut Down.

3. In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

4. As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.

5. Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

6. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Note:
• If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again.
• In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers (mouse, monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no network connections). You can choose the Safe Mode with Networking option, which loads all of the above files and drivers and the essential services and drivers to start networking, or you can choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option, which is exactly the same as safe mode except that a command prompt is started instead of the graphical user interface. You can also choose Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown.
• Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.
• There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you.
• NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

This information was taken from: http://www.microsoft.com

Have you also checked which application is eating up your RAM by looking at the Windows TaskManager?

Epyon700

Epyon700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't think going and choosing the last configuration is going to help because I did that before. But the highest programs running in task manager are..

firefox.exe at 126 k and rising slowly
winss.exe at 52k
MsMpEng.exe at 49k
explorer.exe at 23 k
guard.exe at 15 k
svchost.exe at 13
winssnotify.exe at 5 k
sqlservr.exe at 4 k
msfwsvc.exe at 3

A few more at 1k or less
A lot more svchost.exe..

And I'm using 639 and up MB in the PF Usage. The CPU usage goes up and down all the time.

Also I can't move my desktop icons at all. And I've checked all the options with that and still can't move!!!

Edited by Epyon700, 26 August 2007 - 01:29 AM.

Metahuman

Metahuman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Do you use SQLServer? Also, please check which application is eating up most of your virtual memory. You have to click on 'View' > Select Columns then click on Virtual Memory Size. Please let me know which application is eating up your memory.

Also, I would suggest you perform what we call a 'clean boot'. Information here -

Manual steps to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears.
Step 2: Configure selective startup options
1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
5. Click the Services tab.
6. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7. Click Disable All, and then click OK..
8. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Step 3: Log on to Windows
1. Log on to Windows.
2. When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK:
You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.
Step 4: Optional step to disable features
This step temporarily disables Microsoft features such as Plug and Play, networking, event logging, and error reporting. Also, this step permanently removes the restore points from the computer. The System Restore feature uses restore points to restore your computer to an earlier state. If you remove the restore points, you can no longer restore Windows to an earlier state.
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

2. Click the General tab, click to clear the Load System Services check box, and then click OK.
3. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Back to the top
Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

2. Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
3. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Information taken from - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
I would suggest you continue with your topic Here

Your system is still infected and looks like you may have picked up something new