Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Logs in the out after VIRUS

• Please log in to reply

kfleming

kfleming

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Guys,
I ran symantec Antivirus to delete 3 virus's that recieved on my machine. Pc was find after virus was deleted, but after pc was reset and i tried to login to WINXP it shows my background then automatically logs out. I have checked the web on this issues and it tells me to change something in regedit. Since i cant get in, there is no way to change it in reg edit. Other option was buying ERD Commander but they want $300US for the software. Id rather format a go again. In this case tho repairing XP doesnt work either.

Does anyone know what software to use to get into windowsxp and change the registry.

All other modes including safe mode, loading last successful settings also failed.

Thanx Guys !

Kent

Advertisements

Athlon64

Athlon64

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Do you have access to another machine? One that you could swap the hard drive from the machine that crashed into?

kfleming

kfleming

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes Kinda why???

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you have a windows CD? (not recovery)?

Athlon64

Athlon64

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
First off the reason why repair might not be working is.. if your machine has sp1 or 2 already installed and your CD is the base version it will refuse to overwrite the newer files. If this is the case, a slipstreamed sp2 cd will work. Secondly, if that's not the issue, you can install the drive into another comp, and unhide all files, and windows/system files, then uncheck use simple shares, set yourself as owner of the system information folder, and access backups of the registry. Try to copy the good copies of the registry over the bad one's in the user folders and windows folders.. obviously you want to make a backup of the old, and make sure the registry copy wasn't a copy that may have infected keys from the viruses.

Those steps have saved me numerous times when i had corupted regs or virus issues.

Edited by Athlon64, 14 April 2005 - 12:08 PM.