Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SODIMM RAM - What's the difference?

• Please log in to reply

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, so seeing as a processor upgrade is out of the question for my Toshiba Satellite R20 Tablet (see my other recent post), I figured I'd upgrade the RAM in my laptop.

I've figured out that my laptop uses DDR2 SODIMM RAM (currently 2 512MB sticks). While I was looking for RAM, Toshiba listed two options for my RAM, either 533MHz or 667Mhz. So, after more looking, I found that the frequency meant either PC4200 or PC5400. Which begs the question, other than speed, what's the difference?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Speed is the only difference. The figure is the theoretical maximum amount of data that can be shoved through the stick per second.
However depending on the processor the 667 memory may only be able to run at 533 anyway.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
So, if I got PC5400 and my laptop was only meant to run PC4200, it would still work?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Memory is backwards compatible so it will run at the slower speed if it needs to.