Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard? Cursor Disappears? Hardware or Software Problem?

• Please log in to reply

lela

lela

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My laptop is kinda old -- but, here's the problem. A couple of weeks ago, I would type a few characters (in any application, including this forum - thus, MSWord, Powerpoint, etc.) and then, the cursor disappears and the text wouldn't get recognized, in other words, no text would appear. I then must click onto the typing area a couple of times, the cursor would reappear, and then I can continue. This happens continually.

Do I need to reformat and reinstall everything? I have my recovery disks and I'm running windows 2000, sp4.

However, I'm wondering if it's linked to another problem -- at about the same time, I would occasionally get a "iexplorer.exe" error message that says that it needs to shut down the computer when I would open My Computer or My Document. It would either shutdown or a message would come up about recovering the Active Desktop and ask if I had added an item. It seems that I fixed this problem -- but, I'm now getting a iexplorer.com dll initialization failed when I shutdown. Today, I'm getting more of those old error messages when I'm on the Internet and that they want to send a repor to Microsoft.

Would anyone know if the problems are linked? Any ideas?

If I can avoid the reformat and reinstalling all the Hotfixes, this would be great. I'll be getting a new laptop, but it'd be nice to keep this computer clean.

Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

It sounds like you may have a malware problem. Have you tried running something like Spybot over the system? - remember to update spybot first. I'd also advise you update your antivirus software (if necessary) and run a full scan with that as well.

lela

lela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks! Yikes! I got rid of 63 problems, and I also defragmented. It's better, but it's still happening. (I can type a few more words before the cursor disappears).

I'd appreciate any of your kind advice!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

I'm going to ask you to start a topic in the Malware forum if thats ok.

http://www.geekstogo...a...amp;s=&f=37

You'll need to download & run Hijack This & then post the hijack log in the forum (see link above) & tell them the same as you've tld me. If you still have any problems after the Malware staff have said your system is clean, then please come back to the Hardware forum & let me know. :whistling: