Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection problems

• Please log in to reply

heavenwaits

heavenwaits

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

I've been looking everywhere to find a way to fix this, but I haven't found anything that's helped yet, so I thought I'd post here.

My laptop computer started having an IP address conflict error message last week, and when we looked at the computers that were on our network, we had an extra one, as if someone was using our network. We hadn't set any security on our wireless router, so we set that up follwoing directions from a computer tech. That seemed to take care of hte IP address problem, since my laptop hasn't gotten the IP address error since we fixed that. Now, however, I have a different problem.

At first I couldn't get onto the network at all, but I managed to fix the WEP network keys so that I could connect. However, now my computer's system tray shows me as offline, and hwne I got into "View Available Wireless Networks," the top part says "automatic," and it says I'm not connected, however the description underneath it says I AM connected and if I click on the network, the option it gives me is to Disconnect. When it's like this I can get onto the internet and use my MSN messenger. The problem is that I keep getting disconnected and when that happens I generally have to reconnect manually. After doing this a few times, however, my network key to get onto the secured network gets deleted and I have to go back into the network's properties and re-enter it. Even when I reconnect, the system tray still shows me as being offline. After a few more reconnections like this, I can't get onto the internet at all and get a "Limited connectibility" error message

The only time this ever shows me as being online is for about 20 seconds when I first boot up my computer, then it goes back to showing me offline everywhere except for under the available wireless networks description.

I use Windows XP, my router is a linksys BEFW11S4V2. The router seems to be working fince, since the other laptop we have is online without any problems, and when I check my device manager it says my wireless card, an Atheros AR5005G, is working properly.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Advertisements

heavenwaits

heavenwaits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks to anyone one who took interest in this post, but I managed to resolve the issue. There was one setting on my internet connection that was wrong and messing everything up.

I guess you can close out this thread or delete it. :whistling:

skram68

skram68

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem with exactly the same symptoms. I can't find what setting is wrong - can you let me know what setting you changed to solve it?

Thanks

heavenwaits

heavenwaits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, sure... If I can remember it.

Under my advanced settings for the wireless network, I went to the Wireless networks tab, then selected the network I wanted to connect to and pressed on "properties." Then, on the Authentication tab, all I had to do was uncheck the "Enable IEEE802.1x authentication for this network," box and everything worked fine afterwards.

Hopefully that helps.