Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

goodbye sounds

• Please log in to reply

tha dj

tha dj

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi I'm Michel,

I have the hobby of producing music with the computr so I just did a new partition on my HD just for music programs as the one I daily use it's full of rubbish and a bit slow to run those kind of softwares.

Unfortunately I did something wrong while I was setting windows XP to be a good "music work station" and now it doesn't recognize my soundcard (integrated). as u can guess, sounds are quite important to produce music :blink:.
as nothing is yet installed there unless windows, I was thinking to reinstalll the OS and that's all.
I think you have understood I'm not that good with computers, so I'm asking if it is possible to erase everything just on that partition (formatting is the word?) in order to install windows once again. if it is, tell me how please :whistling: !

otherwise, if you know how can I make m computer recognize the soundcard that would be really easier and quicker.. I looked for the driver's cd, but I don't have one. I think all the drivers are in the windows installation disk I got with the laptop (I remember that when I first bought the laptop I just needed to install windows byits cd and everything was working)

so, how to "format" only that partition?
or how to make the computer recognize my soundcard?

thanks to everyone for your patience and your time. I'm sorry if there are some mistakes.

Michel

PS: I'm using wondows Xp service pack2 and my laptop it's an HP pavillion dv5008 ea. if this can help..

Advertisements

Metahuman

Metahuman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Is it an OEM version, if yes, try going to the Compaq online support & then download drivers online. Or else, disable the device, uninstall any drivers installed, reboot the computer & then go to the Windows Update site.

Edited by Metahuman, 26 August 2007 - 11:07 AM.

tha dj

tha dj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I bought it in a electronics store, I don't think it's an OEM. I could try to uninstall all the drivers (how actually?) but then I wouldn't be able to go on the windows update site because that partition hasn't an internet connection.. anyway I think all the drivers I need are on the windows installation disk, do you know how can I recover them? (I tried to recover windows from the cd but it asked me the admin password [I never created one] and then it was just writing "C:\windos>" without doing anything.. you can guess my panic, I tried to jump out of the window :whistling: )

otherwise if you know how can I format just that partition I will simply erase everything and reinstall windows..

thanks for the quick answer, I'm impressed :blink: