Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wireless nightmare

• Please log in to reply

axemanjon

axemanjon

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

A few months ago I set up a wireless router and added PCI wireless cards to our 2 desktops. Mine's worked fine since the install, laptops connect up no problem (insert WEP pass and away you go) but the other PC's situation keeps getting worse. The first sign of problems was when the wireless connection speed given in the connection details screen started dropping to 1mbps (from 24+ usually) consistently whenever a browser was used, and now connecting to websites either takes a few minutes or doesn't work at all. Strangely email software would still work without these massively lagged responses though! When I first set up the PC I think it would connect via DHCP without putting manual TCP/IP settings in but now you have to specify everything otherwise the "this connection has limited or no connectivity" warning comes up and it never works... Although this problem arose some time before this sudden nigh-complete failure. I've tried just about everything I could think of at the minute:

- changed wireless network settings - channel/encryption etc
- swapped wireless cards, both perform exactly the same on the other yet work fine on my pc
- uninstalled drivers / removed card / reinstalled drivers / added card (in a variety of orders)
- tried different PCI slots to no avail
- repaired windows
- formatted & reinstalled windows

So I suppose it's most probably a hardware problem with the PC but I have no idea what it could be. Any thoughts as to what else I could try to get it working before I have to end up taking it to PC World so they can tell me they have no idea too and try to sell me a new one? :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Have you changed the position of the computer or the router? Is there anything that may interfere with the reception?

2: Have you re-installed the chipset drivers after format?

3: Try a USB a wireless adapter. It might be that something is not working well on the PCI slots.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you looked in the device manager for any drivers that have a yellow !...

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

Edited by happyrck, 27 August 2007 - 09:34 AM.

axemanjon

axemanjon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, I did install the chipset drivers after reinstalling windows, although the computer seems to be suffering the odd freeze for no reason I can't see why any drivers would be different to what they were back when the connection worked. There are no driver conflicts, I've tried resetting the TCP/IP and winsock to no avail. Also turned off MAC control and my WEP settings but that hasn't helped either. The connection still stops at "acquiring IP address" and I can't access the router's setup page. It's bizarre :whistling:

After trying to configure the connection - specifying IP/gateway(router)/DNS servers(ISP IPs) manually - the router page loads incredibly slowly and the internet still doesn't work. Any more ideas?

ipconfig /all results say Dhcp.. No whereas all the other comps connecting have Dhcp Yes and Autoconfig Yes!

Edited by axemanjon, 30 August 2007 - 12:28 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what is the make and model of the router..... and the wireless card

try this
* You must log on to your computer with an account that has computer administrator privileges in order to complete these instructions.
* You may need your Windows CD in order to complete these instructions.

To set up a DHCP Ethernet connection:

1. Check to see if your computer is already configured to connect to the Internet. For detailed instructions, refer to Verifying that Windows 2000/XP is Configured to Connect to the Internet via Ethernet (http://www.answers.v...on/vtkb2525.htm). If it is already configured, you do not need to complete the following steps.
2. Install TCP/IP. For detailed instructions, refer to Reinstalling TCP/IP in Windows XP (http://www.answers.v...op/vtkb2433.htm).
3. Configure TCP/IP.
1. Click the Start button, and select Control Panel.
2. Click the Network and Internet Connections link.
3. Right-click the Wireless Network Connections icon.
4. and select Properties.
5. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
6. Click the Properties button.
7. Select the Obtain an IP Address Automatically option.
8. Select the Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically option.
9. Click the Advanced button.
10. Select the WINS tab.
11. Select the Default: Use NetBIOS Setting from the DHCP Server... option.
12. Click OK.
13. In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window, click OK.
14. Click the Close button.
15. Restart your computer.

axemanjon

axemanjon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well I've been through all that of my own volition pretty much. Can't check if it works with a cable as the comp doesn't have a suitable port. I'm going to buy a USB stick to see if I can receive with that, otherwise it might be time for a ceremonial desktop burning :whistling:

btw
Router: Safecom SWAMRU-54108
Cards: ASUS WL-138G

Edited by axemanjon, 31 August 2007 - 12:55 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there are 4 different drivers for that pci card here...one is for the adapter...might want to try it
have you checked to see if its a IRQ conflict..
you didn't say or I didn't see ..what browser are you using...if its IE try firefox

the manual and troubleshooter for your router is here..
if all else fails try calling them to see if they can guide you

Edited by happyrck, 01 September 2007 - 07:11 AM.

axemanjon

axemanjon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've checked the IRQ assignments and everything has a different number so I assume it's fine there. I did try IE/firefox but now it's refusing to even find the wireless network.. I'll try mucking about with drivers again.

On an unrelated note I've been having occasional IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (or something to that effect) blue screens on another PC and it has two items on the same ISA IRQ and four lots of two on one PCI, could that be related?