Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to my school's internet

• Please log in to reply

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I moved into school yesterday, and I can't seem to connect to the school's internet. The problem seems to be with my computer. I'm running windows XP. This is the motherboard I'm using http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188017. At first I tried connecting the ethernet cord directly to my mobos LAN port. That didn't work, as it didn't detect any networks. Then I bought a network card, but when I installed it windows didn't detect it (found new hardware didn't come up, and I didn't see it in device manager.) Even after I installed the drivers it wasn't detected. I thought it might be a problem with the card, since I have a video card and a sound card in my PCI slots, and they work fine. I returned the card, and got a different brand, as well as a wireles router (my school has wireless as well). The other card was also not recognized, and the wireless router experiences an error that shuts down the installer. I'm at my wits end, and I really need some help. I used to connect using a router at home, but that one connected via USB.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Are you pulling an IP? Go to start --> run --> cmd --> and then type in ipconfig /all and see if you are getting an IP address other than 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x

Also, does the school require that you register your system on their network? Similar to how some ISP's requires the MAC address to the network device connecting to it your school may for security reasons have it setup so that not just any Joe can come in and plug into their network.

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I tried ipconfig earlier, but when I type it in a black dos-like window appears for a second and then disappears. Nothing else happens. As for the registration thing I did register before I left home, so that shouldn't be the issue. Besides, if I hadn't registered a registration page would pop up when I start firefox. I just get a connection error page.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
When you click on Start then click Run then type in cmd then in the command prompt type in ipconfig /all. Don't type ipconfig /all in the run box, that will just flash on the screen.

Hurricane Andrew

Hurricane Andrew

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi! Go to Device Manager and verify if your Ethernet Card / LAN card is not having a problem.

If your LAN card is installed. Try pinging your machine's local host. Go to Start > Run > type cmd
when the command prompt opens type ping localhost or ping 127.0.0.1.

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I realized later I was forgetting to hit cmd before ipconfig. When I run it it just comes up with a line saying Windows XP Ip configuration. So I'm not pulling an ip address. As for the ethernet card, I know it didn't install correctly, because windows never recognized it. I tried two different cards in two different PCI slots with the same results. However, there is a network slot on my motherboard that blinks when an ethernet cord is plugged in. As for ping localhost, it seemed to go fine. It said 4 of 4 packets received with 0 lost. I had a network technician over today who said the problem is definitely with my computer, but that he couldn't work on it due to liability issues.

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Also, when I go to network connections in control panel it is empty.

Hurricane Andrew

Hurricane Andrew

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
If you can do a ping to you local machine then a netwrok adapter is configured well.

Now that localhost is giving you a good reply, try pinging your gateway.

Go to Start > Run then type cmd
At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and look for the gateway entry.

At the prompt, type ping your.gateway.here (ex. ping 192.168.1.1)

Let's see if your gateway gives you a positive reply. If it does, then your gateway is UP.
Next, ping your DNS and see if it's giving you a good reply. Let us know the result.

Thanks!