Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New hard drive - fresh XP installation - various problems

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Following a failed attempt to fix my old hard drive after a BSOD SEE POST I purchased a Seagate ST3320620A 320GB HD and attempted a fresh installation of Windows so i could start anew (new XP disc with SP2)

Sadly, my PC woes continue. I didn't choose the quick format (wanted to make sure things were done properly!) and it didn't take too long to progress but it stayed at 98% for about 20 mins and at 99% for ahbout 40 mins!! I also notice this drive chirps like there's a couple of squirrels having an arguement in there!

During the actual XP install I get 2 errors (full errors noted and can be reproduced if req'd):

1) COM+ set up error
2) Distributed Transaction Coordinates Setup Error

I passed by these. Anyway, my first port of call is to install my Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard - this seems to work. I then installed McAfee.

After attempting to install my USB card I noticed that every driver was getting "unsigned driver messages" and the bootup time (XP splash screen) was much longer than my 3 yr old Seagate 80GB drive.

I then did a Windows reinstall to see if I could fix the two errors above - they didn't appear this time around.

However, since that reinstall yesterday I have has all sorts of errors with installations (all software gets an unsigned software warning)

* MSN Messenger Live failing - windows reporting service said it was a hard drive issue
* Windows updating - Just freezes
* USB card isnt being recognised along with other things in device manager - have tried pointing to driver locations but keep getting "cyclic redundancy check" errors along with the onboard sounds and other installations.
* Turning off leads to a restart!
* Spywareblaster installed but will not run - encounters error and needs to close
* McAfee will not update - get 70% through an update then has an error and ceases

This is annoying when I have a fresh hard drive to start from (to be honest after the trial of trying to fix the old one Im close to a nervous breakdown!). Can anyone provide some assistance on the above please?

All help greatly appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I would run memtest to see if your RAM is faulty, it was talked about in the thread that you linked to, but I haven't seen any results from it yet. Do you need help with instructions on how to complete this?

Also, if you think you have a faulty HDD then you can run this tool from Seagate (as both your drives are Seagate) and it will fully test your hard drive for you.

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok I finally got a chance to try this and I ran Memtest on my RAM - no errors came up. Ill try the Seatools next but Id be surprised if my new hard drive was bad from the outset!

Things are still malfunctioning:

USB card just won't install - it seems to have problems like the sound drivers.

Every piece of software I try to install I get this message - it thinks everything is unsigned!

Posted Image

And for example with the USB it fails and gives me this:

Posted Image

Sigh :whistling:

Edited by hoggle2000, 31 August 2007 - 12:02 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If your new drive makes such noises and you had such problems during format and installation you should return the new disk and get another one. There is no point in trying other things before this is done.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Make sure you run the full test with Seatools and then give us the results.