Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burning

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Have extracted music files by ripping using Windows Media Player and by pasting music files from disc onto hard drive under My Documents/My Music etc, and burned selections on CD-R. The disc plays well on computer, but plays out of control, meaning distorted and overbearing sound when played on DVD player. On on DVD player it does play anything at all.

I am aware that DVD and CD players are supposed to be cleaned with a commericailly available cleaning product, but do Computer DVD burners need to be cleaned also over time.

I used Nero Ultra edition to do the burning. In fact I had one copy already made which originally played well on 1st DVD player connected to television so I made a copy using "Copy CD" from Nero Ultra Edition, This copy does not play any music at all. But now, the original source disk plays on one DVd player but with terrible distortion. What could have happened.

In summary, 1st CD-R plays with great distortion
2nd CD-r(copied copy) doesn't play at all.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What version of Windows Media Player do you have? If you are using version 11, then open the Rip tab, and select "more options" from the context menu. Here you can double check all of the settings for ripping the disc in the first place. Under Rip Settings, ensure you have selected the correct audio format (for example, mp3). Also try moving the slider toward the right, which will increase audio quality a bit (but they will be bigger files).

Alternatively, you could use CDex, an awesome "no frills" program that rips your discs well. You can download it here.

The next thing to check is your burning settings, when you set Nero up, are you setting it as a data disc and copying your music files on it? Or are you setting it as an audio (music) disc? Also, when it comes to the final page before you start burning, make sure you slow down the burning speed. I always set my discs to burn at 8x or 10x, somewhere around there. I find the slower speed produces more reliable burns.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Further, could this be a "disc quality" thing. I burned these two sets on Verbatim CD-R and I have found the quality of these discs to be questionable sometimes. Also I noticed that the recording includes both wma and mp3. Could this be another reason for the problem.

I would also like to know when one rips from a recorded disc, what happens to the original content of the source disc.

Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It could be disc quality, but I haven't had problems with Verbatim before myself. I have heard, though, that a bad "batch" is released every now and again that just doesn't want to burn or play right...

If the recording has both wma and mp3, it shouldn't make a problem unless the intended player does not support either of those formats. I would try and make another one with the format all the same, just to be sure.

As for your last comment, it would stay on the source disc, is that what you're getting at or can you describe that a bit better?

No worries. :whistling: