Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I de-install and re-install I.E.?

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I have been having numerous and varied serious problems (freezing, excessive cpu) with I.E. lately. I tried undoing what I thought was a change that may have affected it, but there was no effect. Is there a clean way to de-install and re-install it?

I assume I must download a fresh I.E. before de-installing it (how else would I access the web w/o it? I have no other browser). Any and all information in this regard would be highly appreciated. Please do not recommend using a different browser. I have too much knowledge and customization invested in this one. Thanks.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If all you want to do is start fresh, IE has a Reset function. It is found in Internet Options under the Advanced tab. Just push the Reset button, and all BHOs are disabled, all settings defaulted. Back to square one.

Don't forget to export your bookmarks to an internal directory first for later recovery.

If it is IE7, there will be an entry for it in Add/Remove Programs. Uninstalling IE7 defaults back to IE6 which will be functional.

IE7 Home page(download): http://www.microsoft...ie/default.mspx

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
In looking at programs installed, I see two security patches were applied to my I.E. 7 just about the time it seems I started having problems. I would like to remove them and see if my problems go away. I have an anti-virus product, so I'm not too worried about the possible exposure. The thing is, though, if I find the problems still exist, I'm not sure if I should re-apply them (from the MS site) or install a new I.E. 7. BTW, I don't see I.E. 6 in my installed program list. I'm afraid if I de-install I.E. 7, I'll be left without a browser and no means of getting one.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 26 August 2007 - 10:59 PM.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Nothing is ever easy, is it? When I went to de-install the last patch, it warned me that several programs would be affected and may not work properly. So much for that idea. The last thing I need is to have more problems than I have now. I think I'll just give up and live with it until it resolves itself. In time, all problems resolve themselves. Thanks for your time.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 26 August 2007 - 10:59 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Removing IE7 from Add/Remove Programs does not leave one without a browser. IE6 is integrated into the OS and will remain even after IE7 un-install.

Reset returns IE7 to default original settings.

Edited by 1101doc, 27 August 2007 - 06:33 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First, download and save Firefox. Do not install it yet. This will give you an option to have another browser (and a very good one, too) if something goes wrong.

Doc is right. Uninstall IE 7 thrugh add/remove programs. Don't worry about the message about other programs etc. Allow the uninstall and it will roll you back to IE 6.

For the following procedure may may need XP installation CD: If still no good go to add/remove programs > add/remove windows components. Uncheck Internet explorer and reboot. Repeat this process this time checking Internet explorer back.

If still no good install and run Firefox. If still no good then you have a problem somewhere else.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I downloaded Firefox and put it in my back pocket.

I uninstalled I.E. 7, which reverted to I.E. 6, which I then used to download I.E. 7. I installed I.E. 7. For 2 days it ran error-free, however, late last night, MS-Update downloaded the patches I suspect are bad and they got installed today. I haven't used I.E. much today, so the jury is still out.

Of note: I was very pleasantly surprised to see that in going backwards and forwards with I.E., the process maintained all my favourites and settings (as far as I can tell).

I'll post back here to say if the problems come back or not after a more vigorous workout of I.E. 7.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Well, it broke again. I wonder how many other people are experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately, it seems like there's no way to get out of this. If I back out the patches, MS-Update will re-install them. If I disable MS-Update, I may go without critical security patches. What to do...?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Microsoft XP is a mature program and I don't think that updates of late are essential. In fact, many problems croped up with upgrades produced by microsoft, such as media player 11 and IE7, and now they are busy creating repair patches of all sorts. For that reason I didn't upgrade to the above mentioned programs and I stopped updating windows.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Vinny--

These are just the sort of things that got so many of us to switch in the first place.
Once I discovered how flexible and feature integrated Opera is, I never looked back.

I only use IE to visit Microsoft once a month and manually install needed updates from the "Custom" list. And Yes. I had my IE very customized. But now, I like Opera even better.

However, since so many do not have trouble with IE, I suspect that it is some combination of Windows components and/or applications that is causing your glitch. Pretty much impossible for us to figure out long distance.

I have moved to using seperate applications for each distinct function. My only Microsoft application is XP. Everything else is freeware or commercial. (except for Sysinternals) That way, when something goes wrong, it's not hooked into the OS.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I'll give it a few days and see how good or bad it behaves. In the short time since down/upgrading, it has only died once--that's a little better than before. I'll assess over the coming days and if I decide to drop it, I'll look at Opera and Firefox and make the switch to one of them.

I didn't expect anyone to troubleshoot this/these problems. I think even the developers would have a tough time with it. But I thank you for your time and information. You've been very helpful.

If I'm lucky (unlucky?), I'll be getting patches next week that resolve this problem.