Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Question/New Monitor

• Please log in to reply

ewufan

ewufan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I currently have a Radeon x550 video card (256mb.) I had a dual monitor setup with 17" monitors. One of my monitors died so I am looking for a new setup. I don't want dual monitors anymore. I am looking at buying a new 22" monitor (or so.) Looking at the new monitors I notice that nearly all of them are widescreen. My question is... If I buy a new widescreen monitor, will my video card support its resolution or will I need a new card too?

When I change the resolution in my display setup (Windows XP) I don't see a resolution that appears to be able to handle the new monitors 1680 x 1050 resolution (or so.) Will my resolutions be different if I have a different monitor plugged in? Thanks in advance.

~ewufan~

Edited by ewufan, 26 August 2007 - 07:19 PM.

Advertisements

Paulie7

Paulie7

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
The resolutions you can currently see in your display setup window are only the resolutions that your current monitor can handle.
When you put your new monitor in, you will be able to go up to different/higher resolution values as your graphics card will not be held back by the old monitor anymore.
It seems that the max resolution of your card (X550) is 2048 x 1536. You should be fine for anything up to this unless your new monitor does not support this.

So a short answer to your question.. Yes. Your resolutions will change once you connect your new monitor.

ewufan

ewufan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Fantastic... Thanks