Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not re-install nor un-install ITUNES.

• Please log in to reply

asyphers2

asyphers2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried to install itunes on my pc. It stops me part of the way to tell me that there is a problem and can not continue due to an error, (i think it said unknown error). So I try to uninstall. I uninstall the 2 apple apps 1st as it says to in their instructions, and then I procede to try to un-install the one labeled itunes. I click on it, get the button that says "change/remove" and I click on it. The screen just blinks at me. I figured that 'maybe' somehow the screen went behind another so I minimized all of the other screens I had open, it was not there. I clicked on it again and again and it still just blinks at me. I went out of the add/remove programs area and went to search, and search for anything that said itunes, I removed everything. The I went into the registry and search for anything called itunes. I fould 1 key which I did not delete yet b/c I wasn't 100% sure that I should even though I made a restore point. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Edited by asyphers2, 26 August 2007 - 07:12 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
before installing itunes, try installing quicktime by itself. Once this is installed then we can go back and try itunes.

asyphers2

asyphers2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The installation of the QuickTimes program went smoothly, but when I got to the itunes installation, it gave an error.

The path c:\windows\dowloaded installations\"a string of letter number combinations"itunes.msi can not be found.

I chose to run the program instead of saving it though. I've installed itunes before on 2 different laptops but this desk top is just [bleep].

Attached Thumbnails

• itunes_error.JPG

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
there is a program called msi cleanup utility. This is from Microsoft. Just download and install it. Launch program and look for itunes. click and remove. close program. at this point itunes should install properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

asyphers2

asyphers2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
that worked. Thankyou SO much. :whistling: