Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you hook up a PC case fan outside a computer?

• Please log in to reply

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well just want to say I'm a person who's interested in computers but you'll have to use small words because I know nothing about this topic. I want to connect 3-4 Case Fans to some sort of power source and use it to cool my 360 which I'm buying next week. I'm really confused on how this would be done as I don't know anything about a pc fan.

Thanks,
B.P.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I am not exactly sure of what you are doing but to run the fans you need a 12V DC current. I suppose you could just buy a cheap computer power supply and run the fans. This is the cheapest power supply on Newegg: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817174030
Then you just connect it to the 4 pin molex connection. It looks like this:
Posted Image

PS: Welcome to geeks to go.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 August 2007 - 09:42 PM.

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well my problem is I have one of each in front on me. The fan plugs into a smaller one of those ( a 3-pin) like it plugs into 3 pins. The Power Supply Unit also plugs into the pins. I have two sides without pins. I got extremely confused, I think I could like cut the wires open aand stick them together (I think my dad knows how to connect wires together) but I don't know if that works. Unless Fans I buy new come with he pin side?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yeah you can

just stick them together

. To see how they connect here is a 3pin to 4pin adapter: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835999104

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That pictures isn't very clear, what colors would cross to what colors?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Sry about that, here: Posted Image
Black to black, red to yellow.

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Last 3 questions...I swear.

1. Do i need it to come out as two seperate 4 pin thinsg like int he pics?

2. Doesn't a PSU require a motherboard to power everything. I tried just pluging in a cd drive and it didn't work.

3. If i find a cheap one would pluging in a fan controller into the PSU be a better idea and plugs the fans into the controller. Don'twant to cause a fire or nothing.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Could you reword that. I did not get what you meant.

2. Doesn't a PSU require a motherboard to power everything. I tried just pluging in a cd drive and it didn't work.

No, you do not need a motherboard. But for a cd drive I think you might.

3. If i find a cheap one would pluging in a fan controller into the PSU be a better idea and plugs the fans into the controller. Don'twant to cause a fire or nothing.

What do you mean? If you want a fan controller go ahead and get one. The only thing is that I think it might be a little hazardous if wires are exposed, but if you get something that is clean and not frail it would be ok.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 August 2007 - 11:40 PM.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
A power supply will not run without being connected to a motherboard unless you jumper a couple of wires in the connector. I think you would jumper the green wire to any black wire.

Edited by cmw2010, 27 August 2007 - 04:52 AM.

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Could you reword that. I did not get what you meant.

Like in your pic the 4 pin connectors connect to eachother and the 3 pin is plugged into one. Do i need to have two connectors to do it or just from 1 four pin molex to a 3 pin?

Edit: Also this will give it exactly 12V like the fans will be running at it's full rated speed?

Edited by BoggyP, 27 August 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Like in your pic the 4 pin connectors connect to eachother and the 3 pin is plugged into one. Do i need to have two connectors to do it or just from 1 four pin molex to a 3 pin?

Edit: Also this will give it exactly 12V like the fans will be running at it's full rated speed?

Yes you don't need 2 of those 3pin to 4pin adapters. you can just connect the 2 3pin connections into one of the 4pin molex connections. And yes, if you give it a full 12Volts then the fans will run at full speed.

PS:

A power supply will not run without being connected to a motherboard unless you jumper a couple of wires in the connector. I think you would jumper the green wire to any black wire.

But I thought the fans will still work. I have not really tried to run a fan by itself. Are you sure Cmw2010 that the fans will not work also?

Edited by jackflash1991, 27 August 2007 - 11:33 AM.

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Yes you don't need 2 of those 3pin to 4pin adapters. you can just connect the 2 3pin connections into one of the 4pin molex connections. And yes, if you give it a full 12Volts then the fans will run at full speed.

PS:

But I thought the fans will still work. I have not really tried to run a fan by itself. Are you sure Cmw2010 that the fans will not work also?

Now i'm just confused. I know the motherboard thing will work. But first it had a 3-pin with 2 4-pin endings int he picture. Now it's 2 3-pins to a 4-pin could you draw a diagram, in like ms-paint. How do i tell it how many volts to give per 4-pin?

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://img441.images...owtodoityl2.png

This is my understanding???

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Good way to explain yourself. The drawing is perfect. The extra black and red wire is not needed for what you are doing. Red is not needed because it is a +5V current and we only need the +12V current. The Yellow is +12V and black is a ground wire. Here: http://en.wikipedia....Molex_connector

Are you ok now?

Edited by jackflash1991, 27 August 2007 - 01:11 PM.

BoggyP

BoggyP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok last question does the 3rd speed regulator thing that goes to the MB just hang out?

Edited by BoggyP, 27 August 2007 - 03:16 PM.