Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SERIOUSLY need inspiration for this coming school year...

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm about to go into my sophomore year in high school, the difference between last year and this year was last year, I thought I really wanted to be a graphic designer.

However, this year, I feel like I have no inspiration to bring with me to my sophomore year. I really want to do good, but I know wanting to isn't just going to make me do well in school. I have nothing to work hard for this year, I know I can work hard for my future, but that just doesn't seem enough to me.

I need help for inspiration, guys.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I know I can work hard for my future, but that just doesn't seem enough to me

when you get out of highschool and you're wondering how you're gonna pay for college...you'll rethink that statement
*dsenette wishes he had scholarships instead of student loans

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I know I can work hard for my future, but that just doesn't seem enough to me

when you get out of highschool and you're wondering how you're gonna pay for college...you'll rethink that statement
*dsenette wishes he had scholarships instead of student loans

Like I said, I understand that, but that just doesn't seem like that much to me... :whistling::(:blink:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I myself to am going to be a sophmore in High School. I am a very good student with straight A's. but all I am looking forward to is football, baseball, and fun. Everyone keeps telling me these are the best 4 years of your life, enjoy them!

Transience

Transience

Unofficial Music Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 2,448 posts
I'm also going to be a sophomore in high school, and am an A student the same as monster, really looking forward to 3 seasons of track and cross country :whistling:. I would suggest you get your motivation from taking pride in doing good work and being efficient about getting done what you need to get done, because then you get more and more time to enjoy this time of your life where you can pretty much do what you want. That's what works for me

Edited by Transience, 27 August 2007 - 07:50 PM.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm somewhat more inspired by what you guys say.

Unlike you guys, I won't be participating in any sports in fall or winter. I usually play fall baseball, but this year, I'm just going to weightlift for the whole fall through winter season because while I grew this summer, I lost quite an amount of muscle as well.

Anyways, I'm a B student unlike you guys. Some classes that are pretty hard to me, I get a B- or a C+.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ya I also weightlift a lot for football.

No worries how smart you are, just enjoy your high school years as much as you can, thats what I am trying to do! :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Anyways, I'm a B student unlike you guys. Some classes that are pretty hard to me, I get a B- or a C+.

i was a C/B (mainly leaning towards the C's towards the end of it) all through highschool...not because i couldn't do the stuff...but because i'm really lazy (if i don't HAVE to do it...i'm not gonna)....after school i went to "real" college for a semester (Louisiana pays for college assuming you meet certain requirements) then moved to tennessee...i loafed around for about 3 years...then enroled at ITT where i graduated (valedictorian might i add) with an associates in applied science (computer networking systems)....after that i got the job that i have now (which i love)....i'm the sole network administrator at an automotive casting facility (that's part of a large corporation)...

the only reason that i got from where i was to where i am is because i had a general idea of what i wanted to do as an adult by the time i was your age....i either wanted to fly helicopters (either with the coast guard or for the petrolium industry) or i wanted to do something with computers.....my knees ruled me out of the coast guard...and most petrolium industry pilots either came from the coast guard or the navy so that ruled that out....so the only thing left was computer stuff....once i decided on the computer track...i figured out what would probably be the easiest field to get a job in (not an easy task with computer stuff) then continued down that track to where i am

your motivation should be what you ultimately want to do as an adult....because you're going to have to work to get there

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
That's very true, dsenette. I have realized that already though.

I either want to take up nursing in the Philippines (hey, male nurses can be good too, and my uncle and my brothers are taking up nursing, and I volunteered at a nursing home last year, and I enjoyed helping others there), computer engineering here in the states, or business administration (not sure whether I want to go here in the States or in the Philippines.)

I would want to go to the Philippines for college because most of my family is there. Also if I take up nursing, it's sort of more assuring than going to college here. NOT to mention Philippines college is MUCH more cheaper than in the states.

Thanks for the advice again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I either want to take up nursing in the Philippines (hey, male nurses can be good too, and my uncle and my brothers are taking up nursing, and I volunteered at a nursing home last year, and I enjoyed helping others there), computer engineering here in the states, or business administration (not sure whether I want to go here in the States or in the Philippines.)

i hear they've got a nursing/doctor shortage at the moment because everyone there that's in the medical field are coming to the states for better pay.....i used to be a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)...there's nothing wrong with being a male nurse if nursing is what you want to do...in today's world there's no such thing as "man's work" or "woman's work"....one of my good friends (and climbing buddies) has been an RN for like....12 years...

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
That sounds great. I'm going to look to study for BSN (Bachelor's) which is the highest, and if by any chance I fail their board exam or anything like that, I will look to study LPN, which is what my brothers are taking. Which is only a $4 difference in the salary per hour.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
I m 43 and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up :blink:
I have a son your age a son a couple years older and a daughter a few years younger.

My oldest is a sophomore in college who was a solid b student in high school made deans list first semester his freshman year and just missed reaching again his second semester he plays hockey which in college you will learn that one sport takes your year up. He isn't necessarily the smartest "book smart" kid you will ever met but he is an excellent people person and it serves him very well understanding how the system works and making the system work for him accounts for a good percentage of his grade.

He is motivated, driven and all the good things that a employer wants, he wants to work in finance he did an internship with a venture capital group who love him why ? because he keeps in touch with the woman he worked for and sends e-mails inquiring about what courses he should take and just bouncing ideas of her not an everyday thing but just something to keep in touch its a very successful company.

I asked him if he thinks that he will work for them when he graduates he tells me its an option but I have 3 more years of college and I plan on interning in NYC with some of the financial companies there I m keeping in touch so that if I decide to plant my roots in Boston I have a foot in the door.

He is leaving his options open which you need to do.

My youngest son is going to be a junior I ask him what he wants to do his reply I don't know, he has 2 years of high school left wants to continue playing hockey and LAX he is enjoying his high school experience he is an awesome student A's mostly he is much different then the oldest so what works for him is different I have found that with him when he makes his mind up to do something he goes all in and usually does very well it takes him a little longer to figure out what it is he wants to do but he will I don't need to push him.

My daughter is a twin of the oldest separated by 7 years she wants to be a teacher of what we don't know yet, she loves teaching the younger kids dance, hockey whatever.
She wont be leaving my side till she is 30 anyway so I have quite bit of time for her :whistling:

The point being its nice to hear what others do to motivate them what you have to do is find what motivates you and go with it. You may not even figure it out till later.

i was a C/B (mainly leaning towards the C's towards the end of it) all through highschool...not because i couldn't do the stuff...but because i'm really lazy (if i don't HAVE to do it...i'm not gonna)....after school i went to "real" college for a semester (Louisiana pays for college assuming you meet certain requirements) then moved to tennessee...i loafed around for about 3 years...then enroled at ITT where i graduated (valedictorian might i add) with an associates in applied science (computer networking systems)....after that i got the job that i have now (which i love)....i'm the sole network administrator at an automotive casting facility (that's part of a large corporation)...

Perfect example but I m not saying he is grown up :help:

Enjoy it :help:

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Something that DOES inspire me is my family back in the Philippines. I'm now thinking of when I get a job, I can send some money there to help them out because as some of you know, Philippines isn't in the top lists of country that is considered 'rich'.

Thanks to EVERY ONE for helping me find this inspiration!

Geez, you guys never fail to help me out! :whistling: