Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP pro upgrade

• Please log in to reply

freckles

freckles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been told I will need to reformat my hard drive before I put XP pro. on (running XP home OEM at present) fair enough. I think I can handle that but what is worrying me is. I have two hard drives one purely for video editing, when I wipe my master drive and install pro will it recognise my other drive and if not how do I go about getting it to recognise it. Any help would be apprecited

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
No need to worry. XP will automatically recognise the other hard disk with your video stuff on it. But just remember XP Pro will only install on to an empty, formatted disk, so make sure you save anything currently on the C drive (eg My Documents) that you don't want to lose!

freckles

freckles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hello pip22, Just talking to a friend who has thrown a cat amongst the pigeons who asked why I wanted to upgrade to Pro. I said I wondered what I was missing out on only having a oem version. Having a full version and pro would be best. They replied the only advantage of pro would be for networking. What do you think. Is oem no different from the full version of XP home.

elemist

elemist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Freckles

OEM is the same as the full copy, only difference is that it doesn't come in the pretty box with all the manuals etc. Its used by PC manufacturers as it is cheaper! the only reason you should upgrade to professional is if you were wanting to network as your friend said

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Xp home networks perfectly OK, so I wouldn't consider that as the option.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Click link below to get side by side comparision

Click here

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If I can throw in my own two cents....

First, just to correct an inaccuracy posted above...you do not have to install windows xp pro to a clean, formatted drive. Upgrade or Retail will install to a drive with current OS on it, and even OEM will install to a drive with an OS on it provided you hide the OS by renaming the windows directory. I do this all the time when a windows install is so crapped up but I want to keep the data and cannot get into Windows and back it up.

As for the Xp Pro v. Home argument, generall speaking, most people do not need Pro unless they are joining a domain. That said, there are a few compelling reasons to go for Pro, but whether they are compelling to you is a matter of choice.

I get asked this question so many times that I wrote a little article on it that amplifies on what usetobe linked to above.

Still in the rough draft form, but if you care to look:

http://www.thecomput...les/ProHome.php

NFG

NFG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

If you connect to a primary domain controller for network authentication, then you need XP Pro. XP home should be able to connect to shares, providing you set up an account. If you run a third party mail server ie Terrapin Multinet on your PDC then XP home should authenticate for send/receive

XP Pro has several additional programs ie IIS, Remote desktop & MS backup program

It also supports dynamic disks, multiprocessors & encrypted file sytem (EFS) etc

more here

http://www.windowsit...20536.html?Ad=1

As for the disc & are you handy with a screwdriver? (or built the PC anyway) If so, turn off the PC & switch off power, open the case, identify the data disc and remove the molex 4 pin power lead.

Install your XP Pro, patch & configure etc & your data disc can be re-connected. On power up WinXP will just add the drive and assign it a drive letter.

Even Microsoft cant trash your data doing this!

Regs

N

freckles

freckles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, everyone, I would just like to say thank you all for your comments which I value. More heads are better than one as they say. As you have said networking is really the main difference and really that is not enough of an insentive to swap from my home edition. Thank you all for you help much appreciated.