Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win explorer icon error

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
(win xp)
Recently I was using the pc and all of a sudden it didn't work properly anymore, so I reboot. Then, everything is ok, except for some icons which seem to have been changed. The icon for IE and a few others (shortcut icons) are replaced by some "unknown file" icons. But all other icons as well as other shortcut icons are still there. There are no error messages.

Why is this, how can I repair this?

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The easiest way to rebuild icons is with Tweak UI:
http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

The bottom entry in the left-hand panel is "Repair." Click that, and then, in the right-hand panel you will find a small drop-down menu. Choose the option for "Rebuild icons" and push the Repair Now button.

Another method is to temporarily change the size of all icons.

Right click the Desktop and choose Properties. Then choose the Appearance tab, and push the Advanced button near the bottom right.

In the bottom panel of this dialog box will be a small drop-down menu box. Select the entry for Icon. This will display the current size of your icons just to the right. (Likely 32) Adjust the size up or down a couple of points. OK. Apply. OK.

Then go back and set the icon size back to 32 (or whatever it is you like)

Hope this helps. Please post back with your progress.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
For some reason, the icons have changed back to their original picture. I did not install or change anything or ui-tweak, and I already did lots of reboots before. Why did the icons suddenly change, and why did they change back without doing anything specific?