Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think my motherboard is dying

• Please log in to reply

sluggy

sluggy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, I have a compaq presario desktop pc SR1620NX This Brand and I think I need to get a new motherboard because I believe my current one is dying. Any suggestions on which motherboard I should be in the market for? I'm really clueless when it comes to hardware, so I don't know what is compatible with what, and if I need to get a new video card or more RAM or any of that, if I update my motherboard. I am not looking to spend over $100, but if I have to I can. My ideal price range is somewhere between 50 and 80 bucks. Thanks guys!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What makes you think the board is dying?

sluggy

sluggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

What makes you think the board is dying?

After about 15 minutes of my computer being on I get a lot of strange things happening. The cursor blinks extremely fast, the key repetition is absurd. Everytime I press a letter key it shows up about 15 times. The clock goes by at an incredible rate of speed and I have to restart. Upon restart the clock is set to a random date and time. (just now it said December 31st at 5:41 am, when it actuality it is August 27th, 12:30 p.m.) I searched these symptoms on google and the only things I could really find to match this were issues with the motherboard battery dying. If you think it's something else, please let me know, I would love to just be able to fix this instead of having to replace anything.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So replace the CMOS battery then. Pick these up from any computer shops for peanuts (ask very nicely and you'll probably get it for nothing).

sluggy

sluggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

So replace the CMOS battery then. Pick these up from any computer shops for peanuts (ask very nicely and you'll probably get it for nothing).

I don't know how. I read that some of them are soldered on, and some are alkaline and could leak upon removal.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay this really is a simple task, if you are any way technically inclined, you could do it yourself, or as Neil has said, they are cheap to buy from a shop and for a small fee they would probably do it for you.

Shut down your computer, disconnect the power cable, then open the side of the case up. You are looking for a little silver battery that looks like the one in this picture: link. Just make sure you touch the chassis first to get rid of any static on your body, then take this battery out. Leave it for about 15 minutes and then put the new battery in. Then put the case side back on, plug it in and turn it on. You might get a CMOS checksum error or something like that, hit the button that enters the BIOS and put in the date/time, and find an option that lets you load default or, preferably, optimal values. Then save and exit, and all should be sweet.

sluggy

sluggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Okay this really is a simple task, if you are any way technically inclined, you could do it yourself, or as Neil has said, they are cheap to buy from a shop and for a small fee they would probably do it for you.

Shut down your computer, disconnect the power cable, then open the side of the case up. You are looking for a little silver battery that looks like the one in this picture: link. Just make sure you touch the chassis first to get rid of any static on your body, then take this battery out. Leave it for about 15 minutes and then put the new battery in. Then put the case side back on, plug it in and turn it on. You might get a CMOS checksum error or something like that, hit the button that enters the BIOS and put in the date/time, and find an option that lets you load default or, preferably, optimal values. Then save and exit, and all should be sweet.

Thanks a lot. It sounds simple enough. I will be doing this either today or tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, any problems with the procedure, feel free to give us a yell.

For the price of a small battery, if this fixes your problem then you are laughing, but if not, then at least you know you've tried before forking out the big dollars...