Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I bet you never ran into this~

• Please log in to reply

realtored

realtored

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed a new hard drive (only one in computer), used system recovery from Sony for Vaio desktop, re-installed windows XP pro.
Then attempted to remove partition "d". Whole disc became "c". When I shut down, and later tried to re-start, it will not boot. The only thing is a 'chirp' about every 5 seconds, plus cannot shut off with the power switch. (have to unplug).
Have tried using emergency XP floppy, and CD from Sony, with the same results.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The occasional "chirp" or beep can be a sign of low battery.

Just out of interest, why are you removing the D drive when the system boots fine with it there?

realtored

realtored

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The Vaio comes with a very small "c" partition, and a very large "d" partition. After a time, the "c" gets too full, and there is lots, and lots of space on the "d". Since I had to install a new hard drive, I dicided to make only one drive "c".