Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random restarts - virus or hardware?

• Please log in to reply

Pangea

Pangea

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A little over a year ago I built my own computer. ATX motherboard, ATI Radeon (either x1600 or x1650 id have to double check) with 512 memory, 2G of ram, and I believe a 500 power supply. Id have to recheck things to see what else I put in it. Its been a while.

Anyway, starting last night, my computer started to restart randomly. Sometimes it would last less than a minute and sometimes up to 10 - 15 minutes before restarting on me. I dont get a blue screen or anything, the screen just goes black and reboots. After a few of these but not in the beginning, I started getting an error message saying that a file was missing or that there was a double and it couldnt be recovered properly. I think they only started popping up after I sent the error report to microsoft.

I havent been doing anything differently recently. Ive been visiting all the same websites and playing all the same games. The only two things that I can possibly think of is that Ive been getting popups for the past couple weeks when Ive never had a problem before and my antivirrus anti spyware is still up to date - OR ever since I finished building the computer, maybe a month or so later, my graphics card has vpu recoveries every now and again but often.

Any thoughts? Any other info you need?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my list of programs below). Take all the preliminary steps. After the experts from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean, and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It might take some time because they are quite busy there.