Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP11 - No Audio With Video

• Please log in to reply

staticVoid

staticVoid

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
hi, I've had this problem for a while now , and It all seemed to happen after I installed K-Lite Codec Pack.
First of all I installed K-lite codec pack , then I decided to uninstall it :whistling:
I recall this presenting a problem but I'm not quite sure what , so I started fiddling around with settings , installing other codecs etc... until I eventually got to the point of reinstalling the driver for my sound card. At that point I couldn't get any sound to play on WMP11 but that was because my settings where set to use a different output device.
Once that was solved I realized that a lot of sound related programs were missing from my system32 folder eg. sound recorder , SndVol.exe etc. (basic utility programs) and probaly .dll files aswell.
Now my WMP11 will play mp3 but every time I try to play a mpg or avi file it has video but no audio?
I opened the file with G-spot and it said the video codec (mpeg1) was installed but not the audio codec (mpeg-1 Layer2)
Its like that with most movie files I try to play , and sometimes when I open avi files with G-Spot it says that the MP3 audio codec is not installed either, it's as if all audio codecs (exept MP3) have been removed from the register.
Thanx in advance for any help.

Advertisements

DJ928

DJ928

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Did this ever get resolved? I can't open old .avi files on any program I have.