Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpywareBlaster Initiates MS Office Installer

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Aug 26 '07

Hi,

I've been using SpywareBlaster free edition for many years. Now I notice a new funny quirk about it.

When I launch it to check for updates, the MS Office program initiates the installation dialog window, and asks for the CD. It says the MS Office feature I'm trying to access is not installed from the CD yet, so please insert CD.

My MS Office is fine, but I have no CD, only the file copied on my system. I wonder if I uninstall and re-install SpywareBlaster that might stop it from doing that. Or might the copy of MS Office I have and have installed have some Spyware built-into it.....but then it would show in one of the spyware apps scans I have like AVG 7.5, Spybot S&D, and Trojan Remover.

Why is this MS Office CD request being opened when I launch SpywareBlaster ???

- scottportraits

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would run a repair of your office install and see if that fixes the problem. Spywareblaster is just triggering bad behaviour.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Sept 2, 2007

Thanks -

You were right, the MS Office Suite was triggering bad behavior when SpywareBlaster was launched....it just took a long time to locate the installation file (burned on a DVD) in a big CD tower.

I located the file and copied it to my PC. Then, after opening MS Word, I went to Help > Detect & Repair, and pointed it to the installation files' location. It worked perfectly, so now the MS Word or Office installer does NOT launch when I try to open SpywareBlaster for updates.

I wish other "Bad Behaviors" in this world were as easily fixed as this.

- Thanks again,
your friend,

Scottportraits