Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How difficult is PSU and GFX card installation?

• Please log in to reply

PGriff

PGriff

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am getting an 8800 gts 320mb with a new 550W power supply. I've never really installed any hardware more cmplex than RAM, so i'm wondering how difficult this is. I've been reading some guides, and they say its fairly simple, but i'm not 100% confident in my abilities. Based on this limited information, can anyone give me some tips or guides for installation if you believe I can handle it, or should I just pay geek squad or someone like that to do it. Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For the Psu:

unplug everything, take the unit out, shove a new one in and plug everything back in as it was before.

For the graphics: Take the old one out, shove the new one in and connect up any power connectors you had before.

If in doubt, take photographs.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I would NOT go with geek squad. They are usually baldly trained people who just waste your money. If you have installed RAM before then you are probably ok. For the power supply you just basically plug everything in. The hardest part of installing it is just cleaning up the wires with zip ties, string, or twist ties to make it look clean and nice. Here is an installation guide on Newegg for installing a power supply: http://www.newegg.co...p?articleId=113

And the vidio card is even easier to install. Here is an animated guide: http://www.newegg.co...p?articleId=188

Let me know if you have any more questions or uncertainties.

Edited by jackflash1991, 27 August 2007 - 05:14 PM.

PGriff

PGriff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks guys. That saved me 40$. I wasn't confident in my abilities but those guides really helped and I think I'll be able to do it.