Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thermal Controller Questions

• Please log in to reply

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, I recently purchased a new computer and wanted to install a thermal display and fan controller. The company could not install the controller I chose because my case is a tool-less design. I contacted the company who makes the controller and they sell a bracket for use with tool-less case.

I am completely clueless about this stuff so PLEASE HELP!!!1

Since I am not getting the controller from the PC company, I can now choose what ever controller I like, any suggestions?

What is involved in installing this thing myself? How hard is it to install the the thermal probes? Will I have to remove anything?(ie. CPU)

What fans exactly should I be controlling? I have 4 case fans, 1 or 2 in the psu, 1 on the cpu, and 1 on the gpu.

I see that most controllers only do 3 or 4 fans. Can I put 2 or 3 fans on the same speed control? (ie. use one for the 3 80mm case fans and another for the 120mm and another for the cpu?

Case: http://www.raidmax.c...cs/smilodon.htm

Mobo: http://usa.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=1

Some Controllers I am looking at:

http://www.zalman.co...a...74&code=017

http://www.silversto...c...=fp52&area=

What is this? http://www.silversto...c...=fp54&area=

PLEASE RESPONDE ASAP!!! NEED TO ORDER THIS AS WELL AS SOME OTHER STUFF LIKE YESTERDAY

PS. Any suggestions on what brand dual link DVI-D cable to get? Need about 15 ft.

Advertisements

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Seriously... please someone, any advice at all... I need to order a bunch of stuff and this is holding me up

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, so either this is a really stupid post an no one wants to bother to answer me or you ppl have grown sick of me the past few weeks and are trying to give me the hint to get the [bleep] off the site. Can someone at least let me know which one it is?

I have searched this forum and Google for the answers to my questions but the only info I can find is vague so I guess I am SOL.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
#1 we're all vollunteers. we do this because we like helping. none of us get paid for helping here. some questions fall through the cracks...it's a fact of life...so be patient or find somewhere else to hang out

#2 if you're looking for a specific setup...one could assume that they will have a manual...one would also assume that said manual would have installation and usage instructions (what...a book that tells you what to do?) and MOST companies now adays make said manual available online

so...be patient and read the manual before you buy anything

I see that most controllers only do 3 or 4 fans. Can I put 2 or 3 fans on the same speed control? (ie. use one for the 3 80mm case fans and another for the 120mm and another for the cpu?

you might have to do some custom wiring but this should be doable...most variable speed fans have a seperate wire for the speed control so y ou'd just have to tie those in together....

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

#1 we're all vollunteers. we do this because we like helping. none of us get paid for helping here. some questions fall through the cracks...it's a fact of life...so be patient or find somewhere else to hang out

#2 if you're looking for a specific setup...one could assume that they will have a manual...one would also assume that said manual would have installation and usage instructions (what...a book that tells you what to do?) and MOST companies now adays make said manual available online

so...be patient and read the manual before you buy anything

you might have to do some custom wiring but this should be doable...most variable speed fans have a seperate wire for the speed control so y ou'd just have to tie those in together....

Wow, condescend much?

What? Is it your "volunteer" job to come on and flame ppl or bait them into arguments?

I'm sry if I get a bit impatient but when I see the ppl who posted like a day after me with much more complicated problems getting like 20-30 replies I figure I had better post something to bump my topic a bit.

As for #2, WHAT? I am asking for general info and how the controller works and how difficult it would be for a semi-tech person to install their self. I am not looking for someone to give specific install instructions for a specific controller.

One would(or could?) assume that I know dick about fan control (see: "I am completely clueless about this stuff so PLEASE HELP!!!1") and decide to be nice and provide me with some general information.

O ya and what does read the manual mean? Wait, let me go see if the have a manual for translating 1337 $p3@k.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
#1 i wasn't being condescending
#2 you waited one day before you started assuming that people weren't answering you on purpose and claiming that "we were holding you up"
#3 you could have been spending that time researching all of this information yourself (internet's a big world...got alot of information on it)

almost every company that sells these speed controllers has detailed documentation about the setup and installation of their products
This is the manual for the ZM-MFC2 that you linked to (took me all of 30 seconds to find the link on the page you listed)
manual for the fp52 you listed (less than 30 seconds)

both of those manuals should tell you exactly what's involved with installing their systems....every system is different (some things are the same) but it all involves installing the temperature probes the way the manufacturer tells you to and connecting the fans in the way they tell you to

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
By the way bumping can actually hurt your chance of getting an answer as well.... some like myself tend to look for ones that either 1) I've started to reply too or 2) ones with 0 or very few responses...

I don't know about the rest here but as Dsenette said we are volunteers and personally I volunteer at 3+ sites like this.... depending on my time ( which is very limited). Also, since my time is so limited I tend to reply to those who 1) I can just answer without doing a bunch of research for the person that they could do and 2) those who are civil...

if you fast reponses pay someone for the consultation.

Just my opinion...

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I consider my self very civil, just when ppl come on and try and act like they are helping but are really just being insulting it angers me a bit. Don't tell me this is not condescending "(what...a book that tells you what to do?)" even your second post is rude and condescending. Granted you are only responding in kind at this point but still, I thought Mod's were supposed be above that sort of thing.

I thought this was a place where non-tech ppl could come and ask stupid questions but I guess I was wrong. It makes no difference anyhow, most ppl on here are just regurgitating information from other people and other sites, I doubt there are any true experts at anything on this site.

O and dsenette, If you actually read my posts you would see that I have been looking online, it just confuses and overwhelms me a bit. What do you think I just sit on this site and wait for a response? I have been researching this computer for the better part of a month now, I just don't trust my own judgment so I thought some "expert" advise would be a nice addition to my research.

***Edit*** I was not saying this forum was "holding me up", I was saying that the fan controller was holding me up bc I have other stuff to order and it's cheaper if I order everything at the same time.

Edited by NeedMoDro, 29 August 2007 - 10:38 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
let's not let this go any further OK? i wasn't coming in here to start a fight and neither were you...so let's clear some stuff here

i don't think you weren't being civil...you just weren't being patient....check the amount of posts made on the forum and then count the number of people who are answering questions...you're gonna notice a little bit of a difference there...some questions don't get answered in a timely fashion and some don't get answered at all...period...we're all volunteers and this is a free site...so...no answers are ever assured to you just because you asked a question

I thought this was a place where non-tech ppl could come and ask stupid questions but I guess I was wrong.

you can come here and ask any question you want...but that doesn't guarantee an answer will be given

I doubt there are any true experts at anything on this site.

i know for a fact that that's incorrect...but you can have whatever opinions you like

virtually any time i go out to buy a product...especially one that is something that i've never used before...i will try to find the user manual first before reading reviews or anything else...if that manual doesn't make sense then i don't buy the product...or if their instructions look beyond my capabilities i don't buy it....that's where you need to start when you're searching for product info...the manual.

the main issue with your question here is that there are generic steps for the process (i.e. install the thermal sensors and hook up the fans)...but the specific instructions rely COMPLETELY on the device you buy...some could require you to remove hardware that others don't...some could have more little steps than the others...it depends on the final decision here....

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
LOL, okay I'll play nice now. Can someone just explain what the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) fuction is for and why I would want a controller that can use it? Most only have one channel that does PWM and it seems its always a 4-pin. This leads me to believe this would be something for the heat sink fan? I looked up my heat sink but it just says VR fan, it does say "adjustable fan control". See? This is why i need help

This stuff just confused me so bad, I can do the labor once I get it I know that'll be no problem(very stead hands, work with small electronics and batteries) I just can't decide what I need, I tend to overthink(and overcomplicate) things alot.

As far as general info what I am looking for is stuff like what I just found on another forum, "Be very careful handling the thermal probes, they damage very easily" - that sort of advise

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://en.wikipedia....idth_modulation

PWM is also often used to control the supply of electrical power to another device such as in speed control of electric motors, volume control of Class D audio amplifiers or brightness control of light sources and many other power electronics applications. For example, light dimmers for home use employ a specific type of PWM control. Home use light dimmers typically include electronic circuitry which suppresses current flow during defined portions of each cycle of the AC line voltage. Adjusting the brightness of light emitted by a light source is then merely a matter of setting at what voltage (or phase) in the AC cycle the dimmer begins to provide electrical current to the light source (e.g. by using an electronic switch such as a triac). In this case the PWM duty cycle is defined by the frequency of the AC line voltage (50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on the country). These rather simple types of dimmers can be effectively used with inert (or relatively slow reacting) light sources such as incandescent lamps, for example, for which the additional modulation in supplied electrical energy which is caused by the dimmer causes only negligible additional fluctuations in the emitted light. Some other types of light sources such as light-emitting diodes (LEDs), however, turn on and off extremely rapidly and would perceivably flicker if supplied with low frequency drive voltages. Perceivable flicker effects from such rapid response light sources can be reduced by increasing the PWM frequency. If the light fluctuations are sufficiently rapid, the human visual system can no longer resolve them and the eye perceives the time average intensity without flicker (see flicker fusion threshold).

basically the PWM gives a cleaner modulation of the voltage where as things like potentiometers can cause "lags" (when you turn the knob the fan may take a second to actually get to the right speed etc..)...but with PWM it's more of a steady signal

so the PWM refers to the controller...not the fan...generally any fan can have it's speed controlled since all you're doing is changing the voltage to the motor

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you. Yeah, I read that wikipeda entry but got like 5 lines in and my brain shut down. I think I have finally found a good one, now just need to find a reputable site that sells it. Also need to look up a few reviews, some of these things fall apart a few weeks after you hook em up so... ya... if anyone wants to help with that here is the one I think i have decided on.

http://www.xoxide.co...mill-black.html