Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply

Paulie7

Paulie7

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

I've just finished building a new PC and am now trying to move data from my old PC to my new one.
I have a 200gb SATA drive as one of my storage drives on my old PC. It's pretty much full.
This drive will not allow my computer to stay booted for longer than 5 minutes.. It doesn't want to be accessed either.
I've tried running checkdisk on it and it gets to 3% and then sits there for hours.
I have tried installing the drive in my new PC but the same thing happened.. The whole system slows down whilst this drive is plugged in.. Especially in the boot up process.

I'm not sure if the disk is corrupt or what's happened.. But I need that data..

Does anyone have any ideas to recover my files? :whistling:

Cheers

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends on the type of corruption and how badly gone the drive is.
If it's suffering from mechanical failure, nothing short of a miracle will get back what's on it.
You may be able to run software that performs sector scans and what not, but this sort of software is again no good if the drive is suffering from potential mechanical failure.

Paulie7

Paulie7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Neil.

I'm going to try using Seagate's "SeaTools" and see what happens with that.
It's not a very good feeling potentially losing that many files!
If anyone has any other suggestions, PLEASE let me know. :whistling:

Thanks