Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

smss.exe (or other important file) deleted during virus removal

• Please log in to reply

jamiegull

jamiegull

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got the Soft Stop Spyware virus, and in the removal process I guess I deleted something important, possibly smss.exe, which I deleted a few version of that were not in the system32 folder. Now IE won't start, system restore won't open, I can't change the desktop background, many keyboard shortcuts won't work, and a few other similar symptoms. There is still a smss.exe in the system32 folder, so I'm not sure if that's the problem. I tried to download IE again, but that didn't work either as Firefox required a program WGAPlugin Install.exe to run and that wouldn't run either.

I have not seen any error messages, so I'm not sure where to look.

HijackThis is not creating a log file, so I can't post that.

Unfortunately this is a kind of vague problem, but it's really crippling. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP on an IBM Thinkpad T41.

Jamie

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Time for "scannow:"

http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

jamiegull

jamiegull

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice. After trying a bunch of things yesterday evening, i reformatted. Clean slate.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Please mark this thread as Solved.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Please mark this thread as Solved.