Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Major Overhall of PC

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I wouldn't say wrong because in terms of overclocking, the 680i is slightly better, as for x8 PCIe slots, it's not a bottleneck at this time (however G92, nVidia's next GPU series, could change this. However I cannot predict the future :whistling:). Again, I don't think it's enough to suggest the cost difference between the two boards.
James

Advertisements

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

The EVGA SLI Lite looks like another good board, but it has been noted in the customer reviews on that site that it doesn't support SLI mode in memory greater than 800mhz

I'm not really considering the one above this, the EVGA 680i Black Pearl - it's very, very pricey.

Above the 680i LT, you have the regular 680i before you get to the 680i Black Pearl. The regular 680i from EVGA is the best mobo I've ever had. Make sure to get the A1 revision, as it comes with a lifetime warranty and fixes some things with the previous versions.

Unfortunatly the site I use doesn't seem to have the regular 680i, is this the one you are talking of?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thats the one and it's the A1 revision.
James

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

James

And it just so happens to be on special offer at the moment :blink: :help: :whistling:

So, I think aside from a case, I have the final shopping list.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
EVGA nForce 680i SLI
2x EVGA 8800GTX 640MB GPU
OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC
Samsung SH-S183 SATA 18x DVD±RW/RAM
Hiper 5th Gen 730W Type-M PSU

Is this all compatible?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yup.
James

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks James, you've been a real help :whistling:

I just need a case to cram it all in now - trouble is I need to find one big enough!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If you plan on overclocking, you should probably get an aftermarket HSF for the Q6600 because they run pretty hot.

Also, don't forget a hard drive and an operating system, unless you already have them. However, an older hard drive (like an IDE one) will probably hold this new system back. You might want to think about getting a new hard drive. I personally love raptors, but a lot of people here will disagree, saying they aren't worth it. However, you are putting a lot of money into this system, and i think you will be very pleased if you can come up with a bit more for a 150gb raptor (or 2 :whistling:).

Edit: And as for cases, the Antec 900 is AWESOME. James will definitely agree with me on this one.

Edited by stettybet0, 31 August 2007 - 08:52 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you need suggestions on a case, the Antec 900 is a awsome case (I have it myself) and much cheaper then most of it's competitors such as the cool master stacker.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

If you need suggestions on a case, the Antec 900 is a awsome case (I have it myself) and much cheaper then most of it's competitors such as the cool master stacker.
James

Haha, I told you James would agree with me. The Antec 900 is truly a great case.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
:whistling: Does look a nice case, and will keeps things cool by the looks of things.

Thanks guys, james, ruthandtroy, stettybet and jackflash you've all be extremely helpful and patient, I appreciate your advice.

I'll order the parts as soon as I get a spare mo, then let you know how it performs.

Thanks again,

A

Edited by Albino, 31 August 2007 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

James

And it just so happens to be on special offer at the moment :blink: :help: :whistling:

So, I think aside from a case, I have the final shopping list.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
EVGA nForce 680i SLI
2x EVGA 8800GTX 640MB GPU
OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC
Samsung SH-S183 SATA 18x DVD±RW/RAM
Hiper 5th Gen 730W Type-M PSU

Is this all compatible?

So are you getting 2x 8800GTX 768MB or 2x 8800GTS 640MB? Because the GTX only comes in 768MB. Also are you sure you want to waste all of your money on 2 8800GTX 768MBs for SLI? I don't think with the games out today that you will benefit from it much. In the future when prices go down and more performance is needed for games I would.

Edited by jackflash1991, 31 August 2007 - 09:19 PM.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Yeah it's the GTS, sorry my mistake. Well, I'm just getting the one for now, then when the new generation of cards come out, hopefully the price will drop a lot so I can get another.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just a note here, if you get a EVGA card, you can use the step up program.
What this is, is if a card comes out thats better then your card (ig a new generation) you can upgrade for the differece between the two cards. Also please note that SLI doesn't translate into a 100% performance increase, only about 20-40%, in the majority of the time on the lower side of things.
James

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks for that James, that's a really useful piece of information! So I would get in contact direct to EVGA, or the website I bought it off? That'd be very good seeing as the next generation cards aren't too far off.

I was aware that it wasn't 100% increase, just figured it'd at least make a bit of difference :whistling:

Just ordered the motherboard.

Just a quick question - the RAM I currently have, I think it's DDR2 4200, would that work with the mobo? Or would it work, but lower the speed of the newer memory?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It would lower the speed of the new memory, don't worry about your old stuff. Looks like a nice build! Keep in touch, let us know how your rig runs...