Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Overhall of PC

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Just a note here, if you get a EVGA card, you can use the step up program.
What this is, is if a card comes out thats better then your card (ig a new generation) you can upgrade for the differece between the two cards.

Whoa! Can you send me a link for that. I have a 8800GTS 640MB from EVGA also.

Edited by jackflash1991, 01 September 2007 - 05:37 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
EVGA Step-Up Program

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Just a quick question, there's no need for me to get a CPU cooling fan do I? I mean, the new one will come with one right? (I'm getting the GO stepping version btw)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
You don't need to buy a CPU fan. The stock fan works great but you can replace it with better ones so you can overclock better.

Edited by jackflash1991, 02 September 2007 - 08:00 PM.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Okay thanks Jack, I've never really tried to overclock anything before anyway!

I'm looking to get a new hard drive too, as I'm guessing my current one will slow the PC down somewhat, what do you make of this one?

Also, I'm thinking of installing Vista instead of keeping XP. A few questions arise due to this:

1. Which do you recommend, the retail version or the OEM version?

2. If I want to copy the contents of my old hard drive onto my new one, then would I just simply plug it in and copy?

Thanks

Edited by Albino, 03 September 2007 - 05:19 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It will likely slow down your computer but depending on how old it is, it probably won't be to a significant extent.
Thats a good drive, I have the 500GB version, the only thing is that I find it loud when seeking, apparently all 10th generation drives from segate have this issue.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/130454

I have the 300GB version of this, it's excellent. Quiet and fast. It's only a few $$$ more, just a point to consider. I was going to recommend the 300GB or 400GB versions, but that site only has this one (that I could find).

EDIT: Install your OS (Windows) onto the new SATA 3.0GB/s version hard drive, then have your current hard drive connected as well for more storage space. That way you could make two copies of your data (one on each drive).

Edited by ruthandtroy, 03 September 2007 - 05:42 PM.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

It will likely slow down your computer but depending on how old it is, it probably won't be to a significant extent.
Thats a good drive, I have the 500GB version, the only thing is that I find it loud when seeking, apparently all 10th generation drives from segate have this issue.
James

I currently have this drive: Maxtor 6Y120L0 120GB 7200RPM INT EIDE ATA/133

I think it's a little old, probably a good three years.

http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/130454

I have the 300GB version of this, it's excellent. Quiet and fast. It's only a few $$$ more, just a point to consider. I was going to recommend the 300GB or 400GB versions, but that site only has this one (that I could find).

EDIT: Install your OS (Windows) onto the new SATA 3.0GB/s version hard drive, then have your current hard drive connected as well for more storage space. That way you could make two copies of your data (one on each drive).

I've got two external seagate drives, both 320GB so I probably won't need to use the old one.

Would I install it without the old hard drive attached, or with, i.e. could I install it onto the new drive whilst using XP on the old drive?

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Sorry for double post: that graphics card has just been discontinued can you believe, so which of the other two i showed you is the best one? I'm going for this one over this one.

Stuff it, I went for the 768MB version instead :whistling:

Edited by Albino, 04 September 2007 - 04:38 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes you can install it with the old drive connected, this is called a dual boot setup and then you get to keep both XP and Vista. Otherwise you could then format the XP install first. Sounds like you've got plenty of backup space, so just back everything up properly and format away - fun fun fun!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

So given that I'm getting a new GPU, I guess that means I won't be keeping my current one

Can I have your old card? You could post it to me in Australia. I'd let you do that. :whistling: Woohoo big upgrade, here I come!

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

So given that I'm getting a new GPU, I guess that means I won't be keeping my current one

Can I have your old card? You could post it to me in Australia. I'd let you do that. :whistling: Woohoo big upgrade, here I come!

Lol, I'd love to sunshine, but I gotta pay for all these other parts somehow!

Right, everything has arrived, good times, but I'm stuck setting it all up, bad times.

Installed the CPU fine, mounted the motherboard fine too, RAM's gone in fine, as have the DVD drive and Hard Drive. Graphics card was a bit of a squeeze, jesus that thing is big... and now i've just installed the extra two fans. For anyone that has the Antec 900 case, the bottom cage has two fans on it now, to act as a wind tunnel, as the fan wouldn't fit any higher up due to that beast of a GPU. Right, so then it came down to the wiring. Now, the manuals for each part are reasonably clear, but I just want to make sure with everything, after all, I don't want to blow all that stuff up. So here's what I've done in terms of wiring.

1. Connected the main power supply to the motherboard.

2. Connected the auxillary power source for GPU to motherboard.

3. Connected power and SATA cables to both DVDRW and Hard disc.

4. Connected 3 out of four small cables, RESET, HD_LED, PWRSW, but couldn't find a PWRLED cable anywhere in the antec 900 - is it me or is there just not one built in?

5. Connected 8-pin ATX 12V Power to top of motherboard

6. Connected small IEEE 1394a cable to bottom of motherboard for front access port.

7. Connected small USB cable for front access port.

8. Connected HD audio to bottom of board (is this correct to do?)

9. Connected PSU fan to motherboard.

10. I then connected three fans to one molex cable, then a further three to another. Is this okay or would it overload the cables?

11. Connected two 6 pin cables to GPU.

Righto, so that's what I've done, it looks very crammed inside the case and if I ever wanted SLI god help me! Is there anything there that doesn't seem right, or something I've missed out? If anyone wants a picture, let me know, and let me know how I go about sending/inserting it.

Thanks guys, couldn't have got this far without you!

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Seems all good. But I am still interested in a picture to see how great everything looks.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Well I tell you what, it don't look all too great, cables are everywhere! But I can still take a pic if you like :whistling: Is it okay to use flash or will that harm the components in anyway?

Once i have the picture, how do i display it on here?

So having no PWRLED isn't going to affect the PC?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Is it okay to use flash or will that harm the components in anyway?

lol no :blink:

Once i have the picture, how do i display it on here?

Once you click "Add Reply" click the green "UPLOAD" button and it will load.

So having no PWRLED isn't going to affect the PC?

PWRLED??? :whistling:

Edited by jackflash1991, 10 September 2007 - 04:56 PM.