Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Overhall of PC

• Please log in to reply

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Is it okay to use flash or will that harm the components in anyway?

lol no :blink:

Once i have the picture, how do i display it on here?

Once you click reply click the green "UPLOAD" button and it will load.

So having no PWRLED isn't going to affect the PC?

PWRLED??? :whistling:

You never know....:help:

Um, one of the four cables, along with the PWRSW, HW_LED and RESET. They're all only really small ones. I'm guessing it is a LED at the front of the case to show whether or not the PC is on. In the manual for the mobo is says to connect one, but I don't have one.

I'll just go take a pic now.

Advertisements

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Here's the pic, apologies for the flowery table cloth.....:whistling:

Does everything look okay? Probably quite hard to tell I know, but is there anything glaringly obvious?

So the molex cables wont be over worked with each have 3-4 fans on them?

Also, I've just realised i have these little red washers, i assume are for when mounting the motherboard. Is it essential/recommended that i use these?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN6572two.jpg

Edited by Albino, 10 September 2007 - 05:31 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Here's the pic, apologies for the flowery table cloth.....biggrin.gif

lol :whistling:
It seems to be ok but I would try and clean up those cables with zip ties, wire, string, or whatever because that big mass of extra wires is going to mess up your airflow and the computer might overheat. Also that card seems to be making a big wall, not allowing the air on the other side of it to get out easily. If the air seems to get hot under it then I would look into a slot fan. It looks like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835888309

But after you get those cables under control it looks like you are good to go.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
:) good job i already have two slot fans on my old machine :) I might try it without first though: if you look at the picture to the bottom right where that black casing is with all the wires in front of it (which I'll move)there's a 120mm fan there that sits directly behind one of the two big fans at the front, and nothing is in between these two, so what i effectively have is a wind tunnel when cold air comes through unobstructed, to cool the PSU and hopefully the GPU. But I might be wrong :whistling:

Yeah the card is huge, i read reviews saying it was big, but when i opened it up, my god it's enormous!

Yeah the wires are a bit messy atm, but i will tidy, i just wanted to make sure they're all connected in the right place :blink:

I'm gonna wait till the morning to power on. Thanks for your help jackflash, i'll let you know how the rig runs tomorrow :help:

Edited by Albino, 10 September 2007 - 07:26 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That fan casing to the right of the PSU can be removed, thus giving you more space for cables, however if you have placed a fan here then this isn't possible.
If you want to remove you 4/8pin CPU cable you can drill into the case under the motherboard so the hole is hidden and thread it through the other side of the wall, just a suggestion, I have done this as that cable annoyed me and I had to get it out of the way.
Just out of curiosity do you have a 120mm or 135mm fan on your PSU? If so please flip your PSU arround otherwise it will overheat.
James

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

That fan casing to the right of the PSU can be removed, thus giving you more space for cables, however if you have placed a fan here then this isn't possible.
If you want to remove you 4/8pin CPU cable you can drill into the case under the motherboard so the hole is hidden and thread it through the other side of the wall, just a suggestion, I have done this as that cable annoyed me and I had to get it out of the way.
Just out of curiosity do you have a 120mm or 135mm fan on your PSU? If so please flip your PSU arround otherwise it will overheat.
James

Yeah I put a fan in there hopefully to keep the PSU and GPU a bit cooler, but I managed to tuck a lot of the cables underneath this - there's a small 1cm gap between the bottom of that cage and the bottom of the case, and all the excess cables tuck under there nicely.

Yeah I was thinking what to do with that cable - it does seem to ruin the view somewhat.

I think the fan must be 80mm. It's much smaller than the 120mm case fans, so I reckon it's an 80mm fan. Does this still mean I need to rotate it? I was debating which way to install it in the first place. If I do reseat it, do I need to apply more thermal compound? The fan came with some on the bottom and I don't have any: I haven't yet powered up the PC.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Yeah I put a fan in there hopefully to keep the PSU and GPU a bit cooler, but I managed to tuck a lot of the cables underneath this - there's a small 1cm gap between the bottom of that cage and the bottom of the case, and all the excess cables tuck under there nicely.

To be honest I don't think that fan will do anything, I think a fan on the side panel would do much more, I think it's only creates more noise then help. To have more room to move cables out of the way would be better then the additional fan.

I think the fan must be 80mm. It's much smaller than the 120mm case fans, so I reckon it's an 80mm fan. Does this still mean I need to rotate it? I was debating which way to install it in the first place. If I do reseat it, do I need to apply more thermal compound? The fan came with some on the bottom and I don't have any: I haven't yet powered up the PC.

The thermal compound that came on the CPU is really good stuff, no need to reseat it unless you have problems when you boot and things being to overheat, if this is the case your computer will shut down.

I was refuring to the PSU (power supply), is there a fan sitting flush to the cases bootom, if so please flip it around otherwise the powersupply will overheat.

James

Edit: Please don't boot your computer till you awnser my questions.
Can you confirm that this is the following PSU in your case:
Hiper 5th Gen 730W Type-M PSU
If so you MUST flip that PSU over otherwise the fan cannot suck any air to cool off the capacitors and it will overheat, and in a worst case scenario catch fire!

Edited by james_8970, 10 September 2007 - 10:55 PM.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Okay will keep in mind what you said about the fan :whistling:

Sorry about misunderstanding, was a €bit late last night......well that is the exact PSU I have, but there isn't a fan at the bottom - there's one at the rear which is sitting at the back of my case, but not one on the bottom.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Then your fine, another web site must have given me the incorrect model number or else posted the wrong image of the PSU.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 September 2007 - 11:58 AM.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
So I've installed everything and it runs great :whistling:

Really pleased with everything, and I definitely think I'll get another card in there to run SLi in the future, but for now the 8800 GTX just tears everything up, it really is so quick.

I love having the quad core in there: I'll be editing videos happily, then all of a sudden results of a virus test pop up - I don't even notice it running!

And as for cooling, that case is immense. My old PC, the PSU and GPU got reasonably hot after about 30 mins use - here, I can't even notice any temperature rise - the fans keep the whole rig lovely and cool. Added to that it's pretty quiet and look awesome with the blue LEDS in there.

Vista looks great, but I do have a few issues with some programs, Photoshop CS in particular which doesn't seem to like vista, but everything looks great on my monitor.

Everything runs really quickly, but I think I'll be upgrading to 4GB of RAM, just to help speed up the video editing which still lags slightly. Am I right in thinking however that Vista can't actually use a full 4GB of RAM?

Just a question though, regarding setting speeds for certain things. Do I have to change anything in terms of CPU speed or motherboard speeds or something along those lines, because it mentions it in the motherboard manual, but I don't really know how to figure it all out.

Also could anyone tell me if there's any real difference between buying a retail or OEM keyboard/mouse set?

Thanks

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

So I've installed everything and it runs great :whistling:

Glade to here this.

Vista looks great, but I do have a few issues with some programs, Photoshop CS in particular which doesn't seem to like vista, but everything looks great on my monitor.

Locate the .exe file and then right click it, properties.
Then under the compatibility tab check the box beside Run this program in compatibility mode for "Windows XP (service pack 2). Also check the box beside run this program as an administrator.

Everything runs really quickly, but I think I'll be upgrading to 4GB of RAM, just to help speed up the video editing which still lags slightly. Am I right in thinking however that Vista can't actually use a full 4GB of RAM?

32-bit OS's are limited to around 3.25GB of RAM, you could upgrade your 32bit version for a 64bit version of Vista free of charge to run the full 4GB but your looking at running into comtibility issues with drives and program that don't support 64bit OS's.

Just a question though, regarding setting speeds for certain things. Do I have to change anything in terms of CPU speed or motherboard speeds or something along those lines, because it mentions it in the motherboard manual, but I don't really know how to figure it all out.

Are you referring to overclocking?

Also could anyone tell me if there's any real difference between buying a retail or OEM keyboard/mouse set?

The only difference would be losing the retail box and possibly the driver CD, the drivers can be located on the manufactures website.

James

Edited by james_8970, 15 September 2007 - 06:08 PM.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
See I tried that already, both the compatabilty thing and the administrator bit. With the compatability bit, I changed it, but it still came up with the same error message: "Could not start Adobe Photoshop because the volume Windows is using for Virtual Memory does not have enough free space, which could lead to stability problems." Then with the Administrator part, and message saying "Failed to initialize Security Client. Error 202"

Strange.

Hmmm, I contemplated getting the 64bit version before, but to me it seems too much will be unsupported. I think itunes doesn't even work, neither does the iPhone which I'm hoping to get when it arrives in the UK. I understand that if I get 4GB RAM that some won't be seen, but just over 3GB will work fine then?

I'm not sure if I mean overclocking - I think it must mean that, just in the manual it referred to things such as Frequency settings and multipliers etc.

Okay, OEM it is then :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

See I tried that already, both the compatabilty thing and the administrator bit. With the compatability bit, I changed it, but it still came up with the same error message: "Could not start Adobe Photoshop because the volume Windows is using for Virtual Memory does not have enough free space, which could lead to stability problems." Then with the Administrator part, and message saying "Failed to initialize Security Client. Error 202"

Try running the program without anything running in the back ground such as anti-virus programs, firefox/Internet explorer and windows sidebar. You really shouldn't be having issues which involve not enough memory. It's really strange..... How many programs do you have starting at startup or running at one time?

I understand that if I get 4GB RAM that some won't be seen, but just over 3GB will work fine then?

Correct

I'm not sure if I mean overclocking - I think it must mean that, just in the manual it referred to things such as Frequency settings and multipliers etc.

Yeah it's referring to overclocking.

James

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Okay so Photoshop won't work, annoyingly. Can't figure out why.

Anyway, I've had it all up and running for a few weeks now and it works sweetly :wave: I was amazed at the rendering speed using Adobe Premier Pro 1.5 on the quad core compared to the dual core on my laptop - insanely fast!

However, I decided to buy 2GB more of that RAM - going back to vista not being able to see all that: I understand that it varies how much can be seen depending on your hardware, i.e. motherboard, so what are the 680i's chances? Is it also just not able to "see" that RAM, or also "use" it?

I decided I also think I'll get an on board sound card - could anyone recommend a decent one - I think the X-fi cards are pretty good, but no idea which one is best for the money.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As for the RAM, it doesn't depend on the mobo. I believe it depends on the amount of RAM your video card has, but I'm not positive on that. (Something like: 4GB - amount of RAM on video card = System RAM seen by 32-bit OS.) And the 32-bit OS can only use what it "sees".

Also, an "onboard sound card" is one that is, well, onboard the motherboard. The 680i comes with hi-def onboard sound. What you are looking at is dedicated sound cards. However, Vista disallows the use of DirectSound, making them pretty worthless. There are some workarounds, like OpenAL, but not every app supports them. I think it would be best to just stick with the 680i's onboard sound.

Edited by stettybet0, 23 September 2007 - 08:28 PM.