Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to rename My Music on external drive

• Please log in to reply

JChae

JChae

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I created a new folder on my external drive. I think I might have copied and pasted the entire My Music folder from my C drive. I renamed the folder as JC's Music but somehow internally, xp thinks the folder is named My Music. I can't create another folder named 'My Music' on that drive. I can change the name of the folder to anything *except* My Music. Doing so changes the name back to JC's Music. Changing the name to something like 'Test' and then changing again to My Music causes it to revert back to JC's Music! It's as if there is some unremovable alias that equates JC's Music and My Music.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

arou402

arou402

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi
You can't have two folders with the same name (unless they're in different partitions).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My Music is one of Window's "special folders" and it will not let you use the name. Try a variation like My_Music and see if the change will take hold.

By way of information, you can have folders of the same name on the same partition...so long as they are not in the same folder.

arou402

arou402

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
wannabe 1
I should have read rule #1 :whistling:

JChae

JChae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is in a different partition. The new folder called JC's Music is on an external drive. I know that My Music is protected on the C drive but didn't realize it could be protected on other drives as well. Is there any way to turn the My Music folder on an external drive into a normal folder?