Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System running slow - software clogs?

• Please log in to reply

stageelft

stageelft

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey folks,

My Windows XP system has been running slow as of late and I feel like there's something or somethings eating up my processing power.
I'd love to know what things I have running that I need and don't need and even what full programs I can get rid of, because some, I don't know what they are.

Is there a way I can post what I have and have running and you, in your endless wisdom, might be able to aid me with getting rid of the waste?

Thanks a bunch,
Kev

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have a look in the Malware forum.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Look at this link

Hope it helps

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi, stageelft and welcome to Geeks to Go!

In order to better serve you, I'd like to have some more information...

(1) When did this start?
(2) Have you made any changes recently? Think back to when things worked the way you liked.
(3) Are there other users on this computer?
(4) Do you run P2P programs such as Limewire, etc?
(5) Have you ever run a Disk Defragment? (If you don't know what that is, let me know)

If you would like, you can send us your startup list. This will tell us every service that runs when you boot the computer. By seeing this list, I can analyze what you have running and make suggestions on what to remove. I will of course tell you how to remove these programs as well. Below are some instructions for sending us this information... Let me know if you have any questions.

Please download HiJackThis ... Install it, and double-click on the HiJackThis.exe icon. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section... On the next screen, click on the Generate StartupList log button and post a copy of the log here. You do not need to check either of the boxes next to this button.

Good luck, and ask if you need anything! :whistling:

Edited by Facedown98, 29 August 2007 - 01:27 PM.