Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet

• Please log in to reply

waterfowler

waterfowler

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just came back home from college. At the dorms we use a network, but at my house we use dial-up. It should just work right? We use msn. It says no dial tone but now it says no protocols. What is causing this and how do I fix it? We also called msn's help line and they had no idea.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Greetings, waterfowler! <_<

Check your winsock and TCP/IP stack. Here is a script to reset both of them.

http://members.shaw....insockXPFix.exe

waterfowler

waterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Now that I have put in the Winsock program that you gave me should it work fine after that or do I need to make other modifications?
Thanks,
Waterfowler

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Shoot! I just noticed the link I gave you was for Windows XP, but you have Windows 98. Give me a minute and I'll post another reply for you.

There is a very common problem caused by Spyware in Windows XP, and I jumped to the conclusion without reading your original post carefully enough.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's start with making sure your modem is being detected correctly:

To do this, go to Control Panel, double-click the Modems icon and see if the modem is listed on the General tab. Click Diagnostics, click the COM port that the modem is connected, click More Info.

1) If the More Info dialog box is displayed without an error message and there is a series of AT commands and responses, the modem has passed a diagnostics test.

2) If the modem does not show up in the list, the driver may not be installed properly or at all, the modem cannot be tested. To do this, go to Control Panel, and double-click the Modems icon. On the General tab look at the modem listed and verify it is the correct modem.

If no modem or the wrong modem is installed (Windows 98 may detect a modem), update the modem driver:

To do this, go to Control Panel, double-click System, click the Device Manager tab, click the [+] sign next to the Modem branch to expand it, if it exists. If it does not exist, look for the Other Devices branch, click the [+] sign next to Other Devices branch to expand it.

Double-click your modem, click the Driver tab and click Update Driver.

Please reply with your results, and if not corrected we'll keep troubleshooting.

waterfowler

waterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The diagnostics tab has three items in it. COM 1 & COM 2 both of which it says No modem installed. Then for COM 4 it has intel HaM data fax voice. When I did this: go to Control Panel, double-click System, click the Device Manager tab then I clicked Modem and under modem was the intel HaM data fax voice. I neglected to tell you in my first email was that the connection at the dorms was Ethernet, and to set it up we had to do several things to it. Thanks for your help. <_<

waterfowler

waterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I forgot to ad that when I just try connecting to the internet like normally it connects then gives me this error. ERROR_PPP_NO_PROTOCOLS_CONFIGURED. What does this mean?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Okay, let's try this:

1) Double-click Dial-Up Networking. Edit the Properties of the phonebook entry e.g. MSN

2) On the Server Types tab, in the Type of Dial-up Server: drop-down box, select PPP...........

3) In the Allowed network protocols:, clear the NetBEUI and IPX/SPX Compatible check boxes selected and select only the TCP/IP check box.

waterfowler

waterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did everything you said above, but all of those things were already done. So I tried reconnecting like I normally would and it said connecting... then it said internal authentication error. What should I do now? I appreciate all the help you have given me <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hmmm... I'm running out of ideas. Do you have a MSN CD, so you could try reinstalling it?

waterfowler

waterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
We called MSN again and they helped us. They told us to delete all the Ethernet software and to do some other things. It worked. So I appreciate your help. Thanks, Waterfowler <_<