Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Printing With MS Word - Problem

• Please log in to reply

Gary M

Gary M

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there, I need some help!

When printing with MS Word I have been getting a message like "part of the document is outside the printable area, do you want to continue?".

I have been saying "yes" as it didn't affect what I was printing.

Now I'm printing pages with borders and headers. The bottom part of the border is cut off and the remainder printed on another page.
Also, with the header, this is not being printed even though the text contained within it is.

This isn't a printer problem as I'm having no issues when printing from other programs (AutoCAD).

I've tried changing margins in the Page Setup box but to no use.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Gary M, 14 April 2005 - 06:33 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Within word, FILE > PAGE SETUP > look for something like PAPERSIZE?

What is it? A4? Letter? What paper size are you using

This occurs because Word and your Printer do not agree on the size of the paper. Since your printer gets the last say, you need to set MS word to conform

Gary M

Gary M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks very much for that Gerry.
That solved my issue with printing page borders, unfortunately the system's still not recognising my page header. Have you had any dealings with these at all?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You mean headers, or this issue?

What did you do to "solve the issue"

I asked a question that was meant to elicit info...I suspect you changed the info in page setup?

Try this instead...

START > PRINTERS and FAXES, select your printer, choose PROPERTIES...select PRINTING PREFERENCES on the GENERAL tab.

Set the page size here, then go back into word and adjust your margins for the pages size that matches the size selected here

Gary M

Gary M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Gerry,

To solve the issue I went to "File - Page Setup - Paper Tab", changed paper size to A4 but the paper sizes didn't look right. I ended up physically measuring a sheet of A4 and typing in those dimensions.
This is what resolved my issue with the bottom part of my page border being chopped off.

For some reason the print process won't recognise my page header. Within the page header I've typed in some text, this is being picked up in the print process but the actual header isn't.
I suspect it's a header problem and not a print area problem as I have the company logo on the same line (within the header) as the text which is printing fine.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahhh, much more info to work with!

What version of Windows (XP home pro, sp1 or sp2? What version of Word? What kind of printer? What driver for the printer is installed (current)?

Gary M

Gary M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Gerry,

I'm not that hot on the computer info, I'm more an end user but I'll give you as much detail as I can.

I use: Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

I don't know what version of Word I have

My printer is an HP Deskjet 1220C (prints up to A3 in colour).

Is this significant? The document I use with the header is one I inherited when I started with the company, several months ago, and has been printing fine since then. It's only recently I've been having these niggling problems.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In word, click HELP > ABOUT to tell you the version

Did you change versions of Word, or update? I am definitely leaning toward corrupted header.

In Page Preview do you see the header? File > Print Preview?

Gary M

Gary M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My version of Word is Microsoft Word 2002 (10.2627.3501) SP-1

To my knowledge this hasn't been changed or updated since I began working here.

The header doesn't appear in Print - Preview.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
corrupt then

Recreate it. Headers and footers are created in the View > Headers and Footers menu

Gary M

Gary M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nice one, problem solved!

Thanks for all your time and patience today. I was almost tearing my hair out with this. I asked about 5 people in the office before I found this website.

Cheers!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad to help