Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to install nvdia driver for linux?

• Please log in to reply

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I've got 2 problems as follows:

1. I've downloaded the latest nvidia driver (GeForce 4200 Ti) for Linux (I've openSuSE linux) but I have absolutley no Idea how to install it (double-clickingdoesn't work).

and:

2. I've tred every port but openSuSE linux can't detect my Fax/Data internal dial-up modem.

Any help is greatly apreciated.

ps. I' good with windows (I just re-installed and upgraded my whole system) but as for linux.... well I can point and click and that's about it, so please make your reply as detailed as possable.

thanks,
daffy_elmo

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo,
sorry I am on a different distro so I cannot directly help, but the rule of thumb remains the same I imagine being: the distro, the distro's forum and howto videos(if any)

for suse the forum is
http://www.megavideo.com

and this is probably not what you are asking for
http://www.suse.de/~...ller-HOWTO.html

but stick around, a suse user will probably reply next

Edited by fleamailman, 28 August 2007 - 12:27 PM.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks for your help fleamailman,
I'll try megavideo and Youtube and see if there's a tutorial on there.
That other link you gave me I've already tried but I can't understand the jargon :whistling:

Anyway thanks for your help,
daffy_elmo

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Try this one and see if it makes more sense.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
AS far as the modem and getting it to work, what kind of modem is it? If it is a winmodem you are probably out of luck , though I have heard of some people making drivers even for some of those....

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The 2.6.x kernel uses "modules" to load "headers" that are used to load parts of the Operating System especially device drivers. This makes it easier to load devices and drivers for other OS components. Apparently SUSE doesn't compile the Nvidia modules out of the box into their kernel. Recompiling the kernel is not as daunting as it sounds and adding modules is an efficient way to handle the needs of an OS. I do this on most every System I install these days. I found this article a few days ago and it applies to SUSE especially since that is what the author is using.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I managed to install it. It wasn't that hard a bit like command promt in win 95 really.
I like it how you can switch to runlevel 3 and back like that.

I've just got one problem:

After all that I can't get the 3D effects 'cause when I enable it I can't have my six desktops and all my icons change to a different iconset (gnome - or something like that) and my backgrounds change to the default and I can't seem to change them back. :blink:

Plus I can't get the ripple or transparancy effects when dragging windows around.

Do you know if there's anyway to solve this?
Will it be hardware or software causing this?

it's not important - I'm just glad to have the nVidia driver up and running :help:

Oh and on the Modem front:
PC Linux OS could detect my modem and connect to the internet so there must be a driver out there somewhere. Do you know where I could find it?

specs: PCI SoftV92 Speakerphone Modem
Manufactuurer: CXT

that's all I could find in Device manager in Windows.

Thanks a bunch,
daffy_elmo

ps. maybe I'm being a bit thick here but: Why can't you just double click on the driver installation file in linux to install it like you can on windows?!? :whistling: Do you think this this will ever happen?

Edited by daffy_elmo, 14 September 2007 - 01:20 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I've never used SUSE so I can't speak to it. I don't use nVidia cards but most the distros I've use have The kernel modules loaded and the drivers are usually in the repositories (non-free) so not as easy as a double click but mark them for update in the package manager and click apply makes it pretty easy. You should give the ATI drivers a try and they have no openGL 3D acceleration. Thank the powers that be at AMD/ATI they have opened the chip set specs and they are proving some support to open source developers for new drivers.

scguy318

scguy318

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
For the modem issue, this utility will help you out: http://linmodems.tec...es/scanModem.gz