Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Recovery by Northgate

• Please log in to reply

Maggie61

Maggie61

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Northgate computer running Win XP home editon that I got in '03 and now need to run the recovery disk. It's restore doesn't go back far enough to correct the problem. I cannot reinstall my HP scanner/printer, etc. so will start afresh I hope. HP says it is a win problem and vice versa. Windows said to contact Northgate and they have gone defunct. I am used to using HP recovery disk and its easy. I did find on here where I needed to change the BIOS to boot from disk, and I would appreciate step by step on how to do that. Also, once I get into the recovery disk if it will not run auto how will I know what files to click on. I like the auto run that does what it is supposed to do with just a click. I have all my files backed up on an external drive. Is there some precautions I need to know about as I don't want to start the process and not be able to finish as I need my computer daily. Will it wipe off the Syntax Motherboard drivers ver: 1.9S(the disk came with it), the Modem MDP7800 Multilmedia communicatiolns suite? Will I have to reinstall these or just the XP? Thanks for your help in guiding me or guiding me to a site that will walk me thru it. My spell checker hasn't worked for a long time either. I had considered buying some program that might straighten my system out, but assume a recover would definitely do the job.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, changing the boot sequence in the BIOS is not big deal, but before one does that, I am wondering if a repair with an XPcd would not mend your system without your having to go through the whole process of reinstalling, what exactly is the problem with the system as it is, if we could mend it and dump all the stuff you no longer need, your system would be a good as reinstalled.

another problem is the license, suppose it were not a standard XP license but the maker's own special type, then reinstalling with an XPcd using your license would not take, also there are the drivers to gather, the CD copies of the programs you use(because programs too have to be reinstalled, not just copied back) and then there is the activation of the license with Microsoft, etc., etc., in all a lot of work for little gain.

anyway, my 2cts is this, but someone else might offer a better idea, they normally do, lets wait

ragtop69gs

ragtop69gs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Northgate recovery console can be accessed by pressing F4 while your computer is booting. As soon as it starts to boot press F4.