Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8800 GTS Problems

• Please log in to reply

atomic_c4

atomic_c4

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys i wondered if you could help me with something, i'm having a graphics problem.

Basically my 3d Games are not playing correctly. Whenever i launch the game (the games in question are world of warcraft, warcraft 3 and sometimes cs 1.6) it appears to lock up, the mouse freezes, the sound freezes and repeats and the screen freezes. After about 10 seconds of no mouse, keyboard, sound or graphics, the computer kind of catches up with itself, but then locks up again. Also i have been on Teamspeak during the freezes and i also get no sound from other programs. i find that if i spam alt-f4 then the game will eventually exit, which must mean the game doesnt 'crash'. I am not really sure what else i can do, i have tried updating the BIOS and have correctly unstalled the gfx drivers and installed the latest ones. I have also Re-installed the games

I have also found that if i reboot and go straight into the game it'll work fine...until i minimise the game and maximise back into it. It then starts doing what i explained above. Really strange problem. I have also noticed that it does not just happen in games. When i am playing media through windows media player the same thing happens, the screen freezes and mouse etc, but it then continues with the video, its not constant. will be looking forward to some feedback.

Once it totaly froze and i was forced to reboot, submitted a report to microsoft (for a laugh, didnt really have much else to do) and the technical information came up with a stop error, which may help

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

Cheers in Advance

I have uploaded a Dxdiag report

Attached Files

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it's a driver issue. Please go to http://nvidia.com/ and download the latest driver

atomic_c4

atomic_c4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey thx for the reply.

i originally thought it was the drivers and i have tried 3 different driver versions including the latest and the beta drivers, no difference. Not really sure what it is

thanks

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what version of UT?

what wattage is your power supply?

atomic_c4

atomic_c4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey

i dont know what UT is :whistling:

and my power supply is 580w, which is more than enough power, setup a RMA with BFG under the warranty now, just waiting for them to confirm it.

thx

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, 580 watts isn't enough to power an 8800. When the card is under load, it draws a lot. This is known as peak power. I recommend a 700 watt ps or a very good 650 watt ps.

If you want to know more, I suggest checking out anandtech.com and read up on their ps reviews.

Edited by starjax, 06 September 2007 - 02:19 PM.

atomic_c4

atomic_c4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks i'll check it out