Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My screwed up computer

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Okay, this thing is pretty screwed up. Here's the story of what's been going on.

The other day i tried to download some fonts off this website, and my anti virus nod32 deteccted a trojan as i opened it. Unforunately, i believe the trojan was already insatlled by the time it detected. Later that night, i decided to switch from nod32 to kaspersky 30 day trial. At the end of the installation of kaspersky, it asked me to restart the computer and i let it. When the computer restarted, I noticed that it was literally taking about 10 minutes to boot (it would just stay on this one screen forever, it's the screen that basicallly shows me all the pci devices and my system specs). Then after like 8 minutes, the screen changed to the windows loading screen and I was able to log in. I decided to scan with kaspersky to see if the trojan was still there. It found that 34 files were infected, and most were very important files, in the system32 folder. It tried to fix it, but wheni restarted my computer, it was still a 10 minute boot, the same as last time.

I then decided it was time to reformat, since there weren't really that many important files on my comp. I got out the discs, and reformated onto my main C drive. Everthing went smoothly, and it seemed like i would be back up within an hour or so after i got my drivers installed. I downloaded my drivers and began installing them, but when i would restart the computer at the end of the driver install, the computer was still taking like 10 minutes to boot. Both my C and F drives were formatted so i know the trojan isn't still there, but i'm beginning to think it did some perm damage to my computer. I just bought this new drive ( the F drive, which i install all my games and music and stuff on), and if there's drive damage, i really can't afford a new drive for a long time.

The computer isn't that old, only 1-2 years, and the specs are below. I also got the blue screen of death once right in the middle of downloading my video drivers. I'm attempting to install windows on my F drive right now to see if it works on that drive, and i'll post back to let you guys know. I'm hoping someone can help me here, this is the only computer that's really fast enough for me to do stuff for school on and play games on, so i'm really hoping I can fix it without having to buy new hardware (which will take me a few months to save up the money :/ )

Please help :whistling:

My system specs..

Manufacturer: Custom
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Hard Drive: 330 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Audio [A400]
Speakers/Headphones: Icemat
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Edited by MR0624, 28 August 2007 - 12:46 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You did take NOD32 off before loading Kaspersky?

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
While installing kaspersky it asked me to uninstall it and i did so.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Anyone? >_>

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MR0624...

I'd start by running diagnostics on the HDD. You should be able to download the diagnostic tools from the manufacturers website. If it passes the HDD Diagnostics, check the RAM with either Memtest86 or the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Any failure during the memory diagnostics would indicate a bad RAM module.

wannabe1

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Hey could you link me to the site for western digital where i can run that test? i'm booting the screwed up computer right now, it's been about 8 minutes so i'm expecting it to load soon but it's always only a matter of time before it dies on me and i get the blue screen of death or something lol so i wana be productive if you don't mind..i'ma search google right now and look for it, i'll post back if i can find it myself.

full name - western digital 7200 rpm 250 gb sata 300 drive

I'll post back with the name of the other one in a moment.

Edited by MR0624, 30 August 2007 - 06:11 PM.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Well, the drive that i just gave the name of (the western digital one) isn't showing up in my HDD's under My Computer. I can only find the 75 gb one,l which i'm not sure what manufacturer makes that one. Is there any easy way to check?

Meanwhile, i'm going to do the ram checks first, since i can't figure out what manufacture makes the only hd my computer is recognizing.

PS: It's actually recognizing 2 drives, but one has 0 gb on it..so it technically doesn't exist...

ah yes, one last thing, wannabe, do you have xfire or aim? Maybe we could talk through that or something, just to make it easier to communicate.

Edited by MR0624, 30 August 2007 - 06:16 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run Everest on the machine, it will pick up the controller ID of the HDD which can be googled for the make and model of the drive.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

ah yes, one last thing, wannabe, do you have xfire or aim? Maybe we could talk through that or something, just to make it easier to communicate.

I'm currently waiting for windows to boot, when i saved the .iso to a floppy it said there was a disc error.

I'm gonna format the floppy and try again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I use yahoo, but will be stepping out for a bit.

An ISO image needs to be burned, as an iso image...to a cd. If you haven't done that before, ISO Recorder makes it easy. Install the recorder, right click on the downloaded iso file, and choose "Copy image to cd".

Advertisements

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
The test worked, no errors have been found on the RAM :whistling: Now i'll try checking the HD's, which i'm honestly beginning to think is a problem, because the scren my boot normally gets stuck on was fine when i booted from my floppy to do the test, it booted the disc VERY fast. Windows is on the HDD so i think that's the problem, the hd.

Hopefully they aren't both corrupt, I'd like to use one and not have to buy a new HD

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you formatted the drive, did you use the quick format option or the full format?

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Err...can't remember. I reformated twice, and i think i did quick once and full once. I know the huge 250 gb hd i formated when windows was running, i just right clicked and went to format, but that's not the drive that windows is running on.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
What's your yahoo, i'm logged onto yahoo btw, just so i can add you, even if you are stepping out for a while i'll talk to you another time when your on if this doesn't get resolved soon.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
IM info is in my profile.