Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a 500gb external hdd for OSX and XP?

• Please log in to reply

william wizz

william wizz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I’m looking to buy a 500gb external hard drive for backing up purposes. I plan on using it on both my MacBook Pro and my old PC (I can’t find the specs at the moment its in a box). These are the candidates I have found so far:

LaCie Porsche Design External 500GB Hard Drive £66.88 (might be able to save £15 if I get it with an amazon mastercard) 2 year limited warranty

Iomega 500GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive £68.61 unknown warranty

How stable are external hard drives? I’ve heard of people who clone their standard hard drive, running windows or osx onto an external hard drive which leads me to believe that an external hard drive must be more stable.
Is there anything I can do to an external hard drive to make it less stable?

All help is welcome :whistling:

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I backup my domain computers and servers all on external USB drives. They are incredibly stable. Other than physically punishing the drives Im not sure what you could do to hurt them by just writing data to them.

william wizz

william wizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info jaxisland.

Does anyone know if LaCie is a good brand for external hard drives? On the Ebuyer reviews one person noted that the Iomega external HDD had a seagate drive inside it, how can I find out what drive is inside the LaCie external HDD?