Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No POST

• Please log in to reply

eleasias

eleasias

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi folks.

So I had my computer running yesterday, and it was going fine. I left for a few hours, and when I came back, my computer appeared to be off, which I assumed was in sleep mode. I pressed the button to turn the computer back on, it powered up, but NOTHING is showing up on screen. My monitor isn't even receiveing a signal from my Video Card. My video card, a Radeon x1900 XT, has two small red LED's right beside where the power cord plugs into the card, and when I first turn the computer on, these lights light up (one is labelled as Fault). They light up for a second and the fan, which revs up to full RPM's before the video drivers are initialized, keeps spinning at full RPM's, and it seems like the video drivers aren't initializing. I had my power supply tested with it out of the case, and the voltages are fine, and it checks out fine. I also tried putting my graphics card in another computer, and it worked fine. Is it possible that the power supply is failing under load, or is there any other possibility. I have also tried reseating the video card in its PCI-e slot, using a different cable for the power cable, and i have reseated all of my RAM. In addition, I removed to battery on my motherboard to reset my BIOS, and I am still getting the same problem. I really need to get this problem fixed, because I need my computer for school, and I have no idea what else the problem could be. If anyone knows what might be causing this problem, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take all the memory out and power it up. Does it beep at you?
If so, take the graphics card out if it doesn't have onboard graphics. Does it beep at you?
If present, take peripherial cards (modem, sound, LAN, etc) out. Any good?
Have you tried a new power supply? Have you had any power surges, cuts, brown-outs?
You mention the fault light on your graphics card. Have you tried a new card or onboard graphics if available?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Are you saying that the system appears to be booting fully (ie into windows), but there's just no video signal to the monitor? Or is not getting past the POST test point?

If your not certain, then check the following :

Do you hear any beeps after powering on (most but not all systems will emit a single beep if the POST test is OK). Obviously this is only relevant if your system used to beep once before the problem started.

Do the keyboard lights (num lock/caps lock/scroll lock) flash up once just after powering on? If so, does the CAPS lock light etc respond when you press the CAPS LOCK key afterwards (wait a minute or two after powering one before trying this)

Does the system go through the usual stages of boot up - i.e hard drive activity etc, windows startup tune (assuming you would normally hear it).

eleasias

eleasias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
No. Windows does not start up. I get nothing on screen. There is no hard drive activity. I will try removing each of the parts, and see if i have any luck.