Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply

heyage13

heyage13

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hello,

One of my two DVD drives is not working. When my pc loads the drive has a solid green light but will not open. When i double click the drive from 'my computer', it displays an error message saying "H:\ APPLICATION NOT FOUND". Ive tried everything i could think of on my own to try and fix this problem, however nothing i seem to have tried has worked. Any insight woulld be much appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S Using Vista

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
How old is your dvd driver? Did you check drivers?

heyage13

heyage13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
i did check my drivers and the driver being used is the common 'cdrom.sys' driver. The wierd thijng about this situation is when clicking in the device properties it says the dvd rom is working properly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi heyage13...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

heyage13

heyage13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Did what you said however, I could only get as far as "Current Control Set"...under that there was no "Class" directory. I dont know if it's because I'm using Vista or something but it was not there. I even looked under Current Contrel Set 001 and 002 and a "class" Directory was not in either of them as well.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
From CurrentControlSet, you need to expand Control...then you'll find Class.

heyage13

heyage13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Sorry bout that..missed a step. Ok So im in, however there is no "Upper" or "Lower Filters Listed in the directory, which im guessing deals with the dvd-rom registry.

heyage13

heyage13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
what would be the next step in solving this issue do you think?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then click the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) DVD/CD-ROM Drives. Right click on the bad drive and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change and reboot.

Does this help?

heyage13

heyage13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
and then am i re-installing the new drivers for the device, becaue i tried what u said and when the computer started it searched for a driver in the windows database for a defualt driver for it but wasn't able to find one.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you were in the registry checking for filters, did you just click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} then look in the right pane for the filters? Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click on it and choose "Extract All"...have it extract to the desktop. Right click on the extracted file and choose "Merge"...accept the change.

Reboot and see if the drove appears and works.

Attached File  cdgone.zip   295bytes   117 downloads