Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Q6600 Temps

• Please log in to reply

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I just recently built my computer and ive been getting some pretty high temperatures with my Q6600 (or what i think to be high)

When its idling they are around 50-C to 55-C under load they are 60-C to around 70-C.. is this normal for a quad core?

I dont have the stock heatsink/fan, this is what I have: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103031

I'm just a little bit concerned, if these temps are normal i just need someone to reassure me that they are, thanks

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes they are high, what kind of thermal paste are you using.
What program are you getting these temps from.
Is this at stock speeds?
James

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I am using AS Ceramique.. Could it possibly be one of my pegs for my fan popped off? and yes its at stock clocks and everything, i didnt want to mess with it at all

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I would try reseting it. Also how much thermal paste did you place on there, too much will being to block thermal transfer between the CPU and the heatsink.
James

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yeah ill reseat it, I put a little bit more then a grain of rice, and spread it with a credit card and my finger.. am I doing any damage running at these temps?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.arcticsil...l_dual_wcap.pdf
Page 4 might give you a better suggestion on how to do it, in the past it was recommended to spread it like rice now it seems to changed.
James

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok I'll take a look at that site then reseat it, ill update in about an hour or so.. thanks for your help

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
quick question before i go, do i absolutely have to clean it with isopropyl alcohol? what differences would it make?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

If another thermal compound was previously applied to the CPU heatspreader you MUST clean the surface first. To optimally clean the surface use ArctiClean steps 1 and 2 or adequately by using a low residual solvent (high-purity isopropyl alcohol) and a LINT FREE cloth (a lens cleaning cloth or a coffee filter)

Quote from james's link, so I would do it to have it running at the best possible. If it's not cleaned properly, it might not be seated properly and allow for the best heat transfer.

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok well i got it reseated and this is what i have now (i dont know why my Nvidia monitor and speedfan arent the same?)

Posted Image

but now when ever i turn my comp into the upright position i get this clicking noise from my CPU fan, I know its hitting my onboard processor (I have the 680i LT) but no matter how tight i have it on it still hits.. any suggestions?

Advertisements

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
i fixed it, i guess it was on too tight, and it was hitting the north bridge.. but all is well, it idles around 40 now, thanks for all of your help

Posted Image

just a quick screen shot of what im at now.. i shouldnt have anything to worry about anymore should i?

Edited by laxr3m1x, 28 August 2007 - 10:09 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You'll never know till you stress test it, load temperatures are more important then idle temps.
Either play a game or else run this program, http://www.techpower.../downloads/385/
Also speed fan isn't very accurate I find, I usually run 3-4 temp programs and take the temperature that the majority of the programs have.
James

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Posted Image

well, thats me after a ten minute load.. i guess that speedfan thing isnt sensing right

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Why do you say that it's not sensing right? Those are pretty normal temps for a Q6600 under load.

laxr3m1x

laxr3m1x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
im talking about the system temp in the first screen shot (9-C) i thought it was a little bit low