Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD read/write much slower

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I don't know what caused it, but anytime I try to read from a CD/DVD, or write to a CD/DVD, the speed refuses to go above about 1.7x

For CDs it would go up to 52x
and DVDs it would go to 8, or even 12x!

what could be the problem???
I work with videos a lot, so this extra hour of wait time is really frustrating for burning onto DVDs...

I use Nero Studio 7, DVD shrink, and DVD decrypter...

Please help!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Perhaps a dying drive? But I'm sure that's not what you want to hear. :whistling:

Try opening your computer and swaping the power cable with a nearby extra one. If that doesn't help, try this canned speech I just "brushed the dust off" of:

If you want to check and see if the burner is failing, you can Download Nero CD-DVD Speed. After you download it, unzip it to your desktop. No installation is necessary, just double-click on it and it will start. Here's how to use it:

1. Put a CD with data into the drive you want to test. The more data on the CD, the better.

2. Make sure there is nothing blocking the CD drive since it will eject the CD as part of the testing. Now, at the top, click on Start.

3. Let it complete and then save the results. To save the results, click on File > Save Results > HTML and save it to your desktop. Attach the results in a reply to me. Also, take the graph from the results and attach it separately, since it won't appear for me in the results.

This test would at least let me know if the problem is with the program or if it is hardware based.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2007 - 10:41 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Another thing you might check is to make sure your IDE/ATAPI controllers are using DMA transfer mode and not PIO. If the transfer mode isn't Set to DMA, your drives will be slower than a 7 year itch.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
One of my drivers is in IPO mode (even though it's told to be in DMA mode)

I did this once before, and it worked like a charm..... and now it isn't :whistling:

Is there any hope?

Attached Files

Edited by interpolarity, 29 August 2007 - 06:26 AM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
P.S. I tried it with a CD just now, and the rate started at 13x!

Edited by interpolarity, 29 August 2007 - 06:38 AM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
haha...I fixed it...

I have 2 primary ATAPI drivers, and I forgot to change the second one to DMA :whistling:

all set...and thank you!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad we were able to help! :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool. Where are those settings (DMA) located? I've looked on my computer but can't seem to find them...

It's useful to know for future situations like this :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Right click on a primary or secondary controller and choose "Properties"...look under the "Advanced Settings" tab.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just out of curiosity, how did you get two primary drivers and why did you have to change manually to DMA? How was it set to ipo in the first place?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Each IDE channel (Primary and Secondary) can accommodate two ATA type drives...a Master and a Slave. Putting two devices on the Primary channel will yield two primary devices. This is a quite common occurrence when using SATA hard disk drives.

Resetting the BIOS defaults will sometimes change this setting from DMA (or UDMA) to PIO, as will resetting the CMOS. Other ways this setting can change is by uninstalling some kinds of packet writing software, some malware will do it, or something as simple as a Safe Mode boot can do it. It just depends on the platform and it's environment.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks, wannabe1.

About the first point, I should have known it, just didn't think. A bad habit, sometimes.

Regarding the DMA, I can't recall a single case in which the setting turned to PIO. Modern, and not even modern, computers set DMA level automatically to the capabilities of the HD. PIO is such an old standard.

Anyway, I am here to learn as much as to help.

Thanks again.