Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Files Playing problem

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok, first im not sure im in right area, but here goes.

I have several movie files (personal home movies, music videos...) that I have 2 copys of (actually have near complete copys of my drives in case crash!)

now heres the problem, I have 2 computers that I own and 2 that run wirelessly from my router. Now on my laptop there are several of the files that wont play. Whats strange is its NOT the file type like im missing codec's or anything, cause others with the file type work. Now your thinking bad file or something right... wrong, remember I have 2 copys of all my files and on my laptop is only place it wont play, the desktop they all work just fine.

Now I bet your thinking I have an update or something on my desktop, again wrong, I never update them seperatly, I always wait till im at home and do them together. And the other computers on my home network all work fine.

So... im out of ideas.. anyone else got any??

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
how'z about disabling simple file sharing, im guessing on the laptops or perhaps all machines. by disabling these you can specify a c l ( access control lists) for each shared disk or folder.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
THanks for the responce, but however you seem to have missed the question and explantion of my problem!

The files on the desktop work just fine, the exact same file ( i made a copy of it from the desktop to the laptop) will not play on the laptop. When you try and play it, it wont let you move the slide bar to fast foward the movie. It also only plays like 2 mins of the video, but all the sound for the whole movie?