Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPhone hacked for other networks

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://news.ninemsn.....aspx?id=290646

A teenage hacker who managed to unlock the iPhone so that it can be used with mobile phone networks other than AT&T will be trading his reworked gadget for a new car.

Hotz posted on his blog that he traded his modified iPhone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones".

Wow that's crazy, I wonder if that's against Apple's and AT&T's terms of service or something?

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
RuthandTroy:

While it is probably true that "hacking" the Iphone is against something, this story only proves that phones like this are not impervious to being hacked. I read this story this past Saturday, and found it interesting that with a little soldering, a piece of software, and some time, that he was able to "unlock" the phone and make it usable on other networks. Of Course, he had help to do it, but this proves that the Iphone can be "unlocked"

If I have to get another phone, I will have to search E-bay for the model I currently have, as the V555 Motorola is no longer made, or at least sold by my carrier. She is a good phone, and has lasted longer then any other phone I have owned.

It should be noted that Apple said in that article that "unlocking" the Iphone is not easy, and that they had no plans to change the way that they are made.

Brian
(Glad he does NOT own the Iphone)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Visual voice mail will obviously not work because the carrier needs to support it

So will Apple and AT&T's legal action deter hackers? Hardly. Individual users are already allowed to unlock their own phones under an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act [DMCA] that the U.S. Copyright Office issued last November. The exemption, in force for three years, applies to "computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telephone communication network, when circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of lawfully connecting to a wireless telephone communication network."

What's less clear is whether companies and hackers can legally unlock the phones and then sell them to others, or sell unlocking software. "The law here is unclear," says Jonathan Kramer, founder of Kramer Telecom Law Firm in Los Angeles. "There just isn't any case law in this area for us to figure out how it plays out."

Experts believe that AT&T and Apple will point to the DMCA's section 1201, stating that "no person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title." They will claim that a phone lock is just such a technological measure that protects copyrighted work: namely, cell-phone software.

http://uk.biz.yahoo....ne-hackers.html

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nokia say touchscreen iPhone clone coming 2008

"Nokia are proud to copy, if its something worth copying", the head of mobile at Nokia told a journalist

http://uk.news.yahoo...-57dbc65_2.html