Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiered red squares and 4 bit colour

• Please log in to reply

elemist

elemist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All,

Im having problems with windows xp and my graphics card... well i think thats what it is, basically i had a pc running winME so i formatted it and installed XP pro with xpsp2 on it. It installed fine i ran windows update with no problems it ran for a day then i shut it down. when i came back to it 2-3 days later and booted it back up. it booted into windows at a resolution of 640 x 480... with 4 bit colour. i tryed rebooting and it came back with the same resolution but normal colours. As soon as i tryed changing the resolution the colours changed back to 4 bits. I tryed rolling back thinking it was a windows update error. However that didnt fix it. so heres the next part been a brand new installation i figured i may as well just wipe it and start again... as soon as the XP setup started i have random flickering of red box's running down the screen during the installation and whenever i move the mouse.

Please Help

elemist

Advertisements

elemist

elemist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I also forgot to add that i have tryed installing drivers (the latest from nvidia) and it just reboots during the installation. It then won't boot up just reboots again until you get into safe mode and manually remove the device then it comes back up. However with the same problem.

elemist

elemist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Has anyone ever seen this before? I need to fix this asap as its a clients computer which needs to be returned...

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would lean toward a bad videocard...do you have a KGP (known good part) you can pull from another machine?

Check the videocard...does it have a gpu fan? Is it clean and spinning freely?

elemist

elemist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok Well just for future reference, i tried another card which worked fine, so i ordered and installed a new card and haven't had any problems since

Thanks for the help