Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot, PXE-E61 problems, please help:)

• Please log in to reply

mrslippy

mrslippy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everyone,
A plea for sanity and help
I have a Toshiba Satellite P30 Laptop. Whenever I boot, I get the following error message looping:

'Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exciting PXE ROM'

Firstly, yes, I have searched forums, here and plenty others, extensively, about this error message. It lead me to be 90 percent sure that it was a hard disk failure, so I have just bought a new one from futureshop, and altho its recognized in the sytem, the error message is exactly the same as before.

In responses to other advice to other people in forums, I have also:

Reset the BIOS settings to their default.

Put the CD/DVD device, and Hard drive above the Network Device in the boot sequenece (actually, played with many different combinations. I only have 4 boot settings, so theres not many possible combinations anyway
1: CD-ROM/DVD Drive
2: Hard Drive (Newly bought, Fujitsu MVH2080AH-(PM)
3: Removable Devices
4: Network Boot

Tried rebooting from CD/DVD (it doesnt let me...same error message looping)

Tried disabling Network Boot altogether (the error Message that comes up, is 'Operating System Not Found' and thats all it says)

I am out of options here guys...I really dont know what else to do...is there a loose cable somewhere inside my laptop? I even stripped and reassembled the laptop once already to check, managed to clean it up a bit, but found no cables loose....

Is there something i'm missing/not seeing? The bios is pretty simple, not many options...(Its PhoenixBIOS setup utility)

Any other info/specs needed, in order to better help me, dont be afraid to ask, and I will tell you as much as I know I am ok when it comes to technical stuff, I know my way around a computer (ish...)

Please, please help. Any advice at this stage would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance
Yours,
Stephen

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sounds like a mainboard problem if its not going to boot off any device no matter how you set it and no matter how many of the components you replace.
Mainboard problems in laptops usually mean its a write-off as to get new ones are more than the laptop as a whole is worth.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 August 2007 - 03:34 AM.

mrslippy

mrslippy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmm...that doesnt sound good:(
I hope its not that, cause that laptop wasnt cheap....any other suggestions, or could it be anything else? Thanks for the response anyway:)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
From the dates of the drivers as originally published on Toshiba's site for this model, this laptop is coming up to about three years old. Therefore mainboard problem is most likely the cause. How much you paid for it at the time is, at this point in time, irrelevant I'm afraid. If its developed a problem, its developed a problem.
Since you say it refuses to boot off anything, I would suspect the drive controller's gone on the laptop. This is not a fixable error, again it would need a new mainboard and again any technician will tell you to get one of those would be more than the laptop is currently worth.

mrslippy

mrslippy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
argh...
well, it was bought two years ago, hasnt been used too much in the second year, as I had a desktop...but you could well be right....eek, I hope it isnt right tho:(
Thanks for the advice tho:)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try disconnecting from power and removing the battery. Let it sit for an hour or so, then reinstall the battery, connect the power, and see if it will boot.

mrslippy

mrslippy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thnx for the suggestion! I tried, but same result as before...:whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It really sounds like Neil has this one on the nose. I think it's a failed motherboard, as well. :whistling: