Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to shutdown my comp

• Please log in to reply

chooby

chooby

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, :whistling:

I have been referred here with my problem, having been cleared of malware.
Here is a link to my first thread:

My original thread

Basically, the problem is that when I shutdown my machine it simply restarts itself within a few seconds.

So far my best guesses are that it must be some setting we have accidentally messed with, or a driver of a program spontaneously going awry.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers :blink:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Computers rebooting on shutdown usually do so because of something that's running when you shut the computer down, typically a program though it can be driver or hardware related too. It may even turn out to be a Windows software problem.

First thing to do, find out what the error is, you find this by telling the computer not to reboot.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Third Settings Button down -> untick the "Automatically restart" box and OK back out.

Now the computer should tell you what the error is and give a clue as to what is causing the reboot.

chooby

chooby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Neil Jones,

Thanks for the help :whistling:

The "Automatically restart" box is already unticked, and was to begin with I think. I dont seem to be getting any information from my computer about the nature of the problem with it so.
Have I misunderstood in some way?

Cheers :blink: