Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to quote someone?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

pharmacytech101

pharmacytech101

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hey everyone, how do you quote someone and have it come out with a clean and simple quote box like I see all the staff do?

Advertisements

pharmacytech101

pharmacytech101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Hey everyone, how do you quote someone and have it come out with a clean and simple quote box like I see all the staff do?

Ok, so this is a test. Trying to figure quoting out;)

pharmacytech101

pharmacytech101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Aight, so I figured out what I wanted to know. Someone can close/delete this thread. I was just trying to find a place to practice :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Aight, so I figured out what I wanted to know. Someone can close/delete this thread. I was just trying to find a place to practice :whistling:

other than the method you found...you can also press the quote button on the post you want to quote...that will put the entire post in quotes and put the date time and name up in the top like this

pharmacytech101

pharmacytech101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Kewl...thanks!

cuzant

cuzant

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

other than the method you found...you can also press the quote button on the post you want to quote...that will put the entire post in quotes and put the date time and name up in the top like this

Kewl...thanks!

dont forget to quote multiple people you can use the multi button.

hiloh2o

hiloh2o

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

I wanted to try this too! :)
Thanks

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

blah

You can even change the data! xD

Edited by axesever, 10 February 2008 - 10:45 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

But then it's not a quote anymore, is it? :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

But then it's not a quote anymore, is it ! :)

LOL

That just struck me as funny- and you're right. It would not be an accurate quote anyway. Perfect example of how "stories" get changed from one person to another.

Advertisements

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ahem.

I beg to differ. My example was false, BUT you can quote someone else, for example, someone political. Or a poetic phrase.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If you just want to quote something like that, axesever, then you can type the sentence and put a quote box around it using the quote button. Highlight the item to be quoted and then click the button:

What you've typed will look like this.

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

You're missing the point. That quote doesn't say whom it is from.

[quote name='Godess' post='1' date='Jan 99 5001, 05:17 PM']I AM GOD...ess.[/quote]

Gives you:

I AM GOD...ess.

Why quote someone and then not display the author? Something only a noob would do =\

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Excuse me? Did you seriously just call me a noob? I don't think so. I think you are the one displaying your lack of understanding. The kind of quote you're using is used to directly quote someone else's post, so their name shows as part of the quote. If you wish to quote someone from outside the boards, then the appropriate way to do so would be the following:

To quote sari:

It is important to understand the correct functions of a forum and when they should be used. At no time should anyone indicate that a moderator is a noob, especially when that moderator is providing instruction concerning the proper way to use functions of the board.

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ahem.

Again, all you did was repeat your last post. the person in my quote doesn't exist. There is no username, Godess. (For one, its not spelt right.)

I AM GOD...ess.

And if you want to quote someone outside of the boards, TAKE THE POST LINK OFF.

post='1'

To produce:

I AM GOD...ess.

And I was not calling you a noob, just your method :)
BTW: Your method is incorrect. It is illegal and very RUDE to quote someone without displaying the original author's name. (though you can delete the date and time)

Edited by axesever, 17 February 2008 - 06:27 PM.