Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to quote someone?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

It is important to understand the correct functions of a forum and when they should be used. At no time should anyone indicate that a moderator is a noob, especially when that moderator is providing instruction concerning the proper way to use functions of the board.

Hmm, I think I know how to read quotes, and think some others might just take some instruction

Advertisements

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

It is important to understand the correct functions of a forum and when they should be used. At no time should anyone indicate that a moderator is a noob, especially when that moderator is providing instruction concerning the proper way to use functions of the board.

Hmm, I think I know how to read quotes, and think some others might just take some instruction

Simple: I wouldn't have used the word noob if their method WAS correct.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
My method is correct. The quote button is for the purpose of quoting someone directly from a post that they've made. That's why it provides the name of the person being quoted, as well as the time and date of the quote. The quote box is for the purpose of quoting something or someone from elsewhere, such as poetry, a speech, a portion of a newspaper article, etc. It really makes no sense to quote someone's post and then edit the name, date, time, and contents of the post - that would be why that's the incorrect way of quoting.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

blah

You can even change the data! xD

First off, changing data in a quote, or for any reason misrepresenting something said by changing anything in a quote is just plain wrong, and will justify getting you banned from this site. Manipulation or misrepresentation of what another person states is a blatant breech of our rules.

From what I have read here, coupled with your negative demeanor, do you have some type of problem with this site?

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
O.o

No I have no issue. But it's apparent that some people just don't listen.

When I said change the data, I meant a different name and quote altogether, the only mistake i made was keeping the link to the original post.

Other than that, I was displaying an example of quoting something that wasn't apparent on this forum. But it is just stupid (not mention illegal blah blah) to quote someone without at least displaying their name. And that top bar is meant for that. The QUOTE (Person quoted @ what time author said the info (optional)) is there for a reason...a blank quote, not naming the author, is plain plagiarism.

What is so hard to understand about that? I'm pretty sure I made my explanation pretty simple...

Edited by axesever, 17 February 2008 - 07:18 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
And I've made my explanation pretty simple as well. You only get that information at the top of the quote if you quote an existing post. No one is asking you to plagiarize, but using the quote box serves the same function.

Abraham Lincoln said the following in the Gettysburg Address:

Fourscore and seven years ago...

That way, you can cite the person you're quoting, and you don't make it appear that the quote was taken from a thread on the forum. That's why I've said (multiple times now) that this is the correct way to quote someone from outside the forums.

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
This is like...

Potatoe, potato.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

blah

Ahem.

I beg to differ. My example was false, BUT you can quote someone else, for example, someone political. Or a poetic phrase.

I see what you mean by your example being - False -

The point though is that changing the data of the quote itself can (and usually does) mean that the quote is inaccurate. Granted, you can change some things to be more clear just as long as it reflects the original quote accurately.

For example: "Reading this thread gives me a headache" could be changed to "Psychposse gets headaches when reading this thread" the quote is still accurate with the data change.

Again, my point was about how people sometimes change the data and it is not accurate and then stories get started and people make false judgments on the inaccurate/false information they heard or read.

Your data change was the name; you made up a name. Since the person doesn't exist, you say the quote is false. I don't quite see it as false, but rather, a lie.

A quote is meant to be a direct reflection of something someone said. Someone, being an actual.. person. People who do not exist cannot be quoted. So why change that data?

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

blah

Ahem.

I beg to differ. My example was false, BUT you can quote someone else, for example, someone political. Or a poetic phrase.

I see what you mean by your example being - False -

The point though is that changing the data of the quote itself can (and usually does) mean that the quote is inaccurate. Granted, you can change some things to be more clear just as long as it reflects the original quote accurately.

For example: "Reading this thread gives me a headache" could be changed to "Psychposse gets headaches when reading this thread" the quote is still accurate with the data change.

Again, my point was about how people sometimes change the data and it is not accurate and then stories get started and people make false judgments on the inaccurate/false information they heard or read.

Your data change was the name; you made up a name. Since the person doesn't exist, you say the quote is false. I don't quite see it as false, but rather, a lie.

A quote is meant to be a direct reflection of something someone said. Someone, being an actual.. person. People who do not exist cannot be quoted. So why change that data?

Cause it was a lazy example. Simple as that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

This is like...

Potatoe, potato.

....I've seen you use this phrase a couple times now....i assume you're attempting to reference the pronunciation differences between "po-tah-to" and "po-tay-to", while the pronunciations are different the meanings are the same (i.e. 6 of one, half dozen of the other)....however what you are actually setting up is a broken reference.....in your implementation one is wrong and one is correct as the only difference you have implemented is a spelling error. mayhaps you can come up with another reference to the idea you're trying to convey since the written language doesn't lend itself well to colloquial pronunciation differences

Advertisements

YellerPuma

YellerPuma

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Ok, so this is a test. Trying to figure quoting out;)

Aight, so I figured out what I wanted to know. Someone can close/delete this thread. I was just trying to find a place to practice :)

other than the method you found...you can also press the quote button on the post you want to quote...that will put the entire post in quotes and put the date time and name up in the top like this

Kewl...thanks!

dont forget to quote multiple people you can use the multi button.

just seeing if I can get this to work

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
It's fun to watch people argue over quote boxes lol.

mart_blade

mart_blade

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I completely misread the intention of this thread! I thought it was about how to quote someone in an academically accepted manner. Thought it would be my first meaningful contribution but wasn't to be, lol.

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
If you don't mind. This is a tester for quotes.

Geeks to Go is a family friendly site, accessible to anyone over 13 years of age. Please keep all content appropriate.

Edited by Pawanhammers, 12 April 2010 - 05:48 PM.

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Yep that went wrong.
[/code]Geeks to Go is a family friendly site, accessible to anyone over 13 years of age. Please keep all content appropriate. [code]